Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1c and 2c coins

Options
  • 22-01-2002 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Do you think we should get rid of the 1c and 2c coins as said in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3972

PS i was going to include atari jaguar as an option but would cause too much muppetry! :P

Do you think we should get rid of 1c and 2c coins? 28 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

what makes you think there wont be muppetry, did you not see the last thread that left out the atari jaguar, youre just asking for trouble, and abstained votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BlackMagic

Originally posted by Lucifer.POD
    Do you think we should get rid of the 1c and 2c coins as said in

YES GET RID OF THE ****:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What, you want to give retails ANOTHER excuse to round up? Cos they sure as hell wouldn't round their prices down to the nearest 5c.

If you don't like the 1 and 2c coins, just stockpile them in a jar or something. You could give 'em to charity or take the jar to the bank and get a few euros for them when the jar's full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

They are already taking them out of circulation in Finland, I believe. None of the vending machines will take 1's or 2's anyway, so there really is no point in having them.

Here in Holland the lowest denomination of Guilder was 5 cents, but the prices of things in the shops were always displayed to the nearest cent. So, if a can of coke was 99 guilder cents, then you paid 1 guilder. However, if you bought 3 cans, that would cost 2.97, and you would only have to pay 2.95. So, taking the 1 and 2 cent coins out of circulation could be done very quickly. The shops could leave prices the way they were, and round off at the cash register. 6 and 7 round down to 5, while 8 and 9 round up to 10.

So if you went shopping and bought the following items:
    Total: 13.37 - you pay in cash: 13.35.
    If you pay be debit/creditcard they charge 13.37 (fair enough).

Easy as pie! Get rid of those damn things now, before my wallet explodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i heard that italy also got rid of 1c and 2c coins already. i honestly think ireland should aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That whole rounding thing occured in Spain too,especially supermarkets. The Italian Gov. can't just decide to 'get rid' of 1c and 2c coins, that would be up to the ECB to decide, and it would have to be enacted across the whole EMU zone, not just one or two countries. I'd say it's just more like retailers over there have cashed in the immense confusion and rounded their prices, thus eliminating the need for 1c and 2c coins. They're still legal tender though. Does anyone know if the Italians are still having trouble with the euro? Apparently it was mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Atari Jaguar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

out of curiosity, 3 days ago i checked to see what kind of change i have in every pocket i have and i had €2.53 in 1c and 2c coins. GET RID OF THEM :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Um... you should try spending them, like when you buy something costing say €9.94, pay €10.04 and get 10c change rather than getting 4c.

I have feck all of the little buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Stephen
    What, you want to give retails ANOTHER excuse to round up? Cos they sure as hell wouldn't round their prices down to the nearest 5c.

If you don't like the 1 and 2c coins, just stockpile them in a jar or something. You could give 'em to charity or take the jar to the bank and get a few euros for them when the jar's full.

Exactly! i was going to say all that but was beaten to is so i will just agree to it! You cant get rid of them! Maybe the 1c but not the 2c, sure they are annoying.. if you dont want them stick them in a poor box!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Its Neck and Neck with the voting, I think we should get rid of them and bring in a 2 Euro Note !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They should go, the Finns managed to work the changeover without them. I'm starting to hoard them already.

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

uneven now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I dont think its possible to get rid of the 1c coin but it should be resized, but 2c and €2 coins should be dumped.

I think they were just covering their backsides for every eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I've about 1000 of the little ****urs already!
    There good for throwing at people that piss you off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by pugwall
    I've about 1000 of the little ****urs already! There good for throwing at people that piss you off
    Then give them to charity!!!

I heard on the radio today that Peats Audio/Visual shop is not longer dealing in 1 and 2c bits ever again you can give them over but you wont get any coppers back in change. At the moment they wont use the 5c either but that is up for review in March.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by mike65
    I heard on the radio today that Peats Audio/Visual shop is not longer dealing in 1 and 2c bits ever again you can give them over but you wont get any coppers back in change. At the moment they wont use the 5c either but that is up for review in March.
    Are they giving the benefit to the customer though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

We should follow Finland and get rid of the damn things

Victor, Peats give change in the cusomers favour so the price is effectivly rounded down to the nearest 10c.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement