Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goth/Alternative clubs

• 22-01-2002 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

argh,

A mate of mine (yea right!) is coming over from the uk to Dublin and wants to know some good places to go for goth/alternative music. Since I havnt a clue of those places, anyone got some good suggestions please ?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dominion.

Every saturday.
    Cellar bar at Fraisers, O'Connell st.

Bestest place in Ireland, if I may say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

try
    http://dominion.gothic.ie/dominion/

i've no idea how old that info is though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

While we're on the subject of bars\clubs.........is there anywhere I could find a list of gay bars in Ireland and Cork in particular? I don't want to walk into another one. Don't ask :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Ohhhhhh, did a nasty man try to kiss you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

gathering_angelwhore.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    While we're on the subject of bars\clubs.........is there anywhere I could find a list of gay bars in Ireland and Cork in particular? I don't want to walk into another one. Don't ask :)

Im asking, well, what happened??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I don't want to walk into another one. Don't ask

No sense of adventure!

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I've been mates with AngelWhore for over six years, and him being a goth, you'd think I'd try at least one of his so called "Ownage Gothic Venues" etc, but to be quite honest, things like that simply don't interest me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I went to one of those Goth clubs once with a mate who thought he was a goth, and it was fúckin shíte..... extremely freaky loons walkin up to me with a pair of crystal balls inthir hand spinning them around as if I was supposed to be hypnotised by this shít or something!!! It was near Fibbers in Dublin... can't remember the name.... there was all spiders webs and UV lights and shít..... never again.... but each to their own!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I always thought Fibbers was good for the goths. I haven't been there in about 6 months, but I always remember there being something for everyone. Bit of eightes, bit of goth, bit of nu-metal, and of course the usual mosh to The Prodigy :D:D The craic!! But seeing as AW doesn't think it's that good, I'd listen to him....
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I thought all Goths hung out at the road near Netshop in temple bar? I heard it was a secret Goth burial ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Alright thnx guys.

Any more suggestions for goth places ?

(the whole gay conversation should really not be on any tread i make :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Me and a mate were in college one evening until late doing a programing project. After we had it done we went for a pint and then to some blues bar place off grafton street. It ended real early so we went down to Bruxels. In our tracksuits.

Very nice crowd, but you wouldnt want to bring a girl home to meet your parents :)

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    I went to one of those Goth clubs once with a mate who thought he was a goth, and it was fúckin shíte..... extremely freaky loons walkin up to me with a pair of crystal balls inthir hand spinning them around as if I was supposed to be hypnotised by this shít or something!!! It was near Fibbers in Dublin... can't remember the name.... there was all spiders webs and UV lights and shít..... never again.... but each to their own!! :)

That'd be the place I'm on about! :)

Each to their own indeed, I can't get enough of the place.
    Any time I'm in Dublin on a Saturday, I'm in there! :)

It's brilliant! Great music, great atmosphere, great crowd.

They usualy have a few DJs play each night, plenty of guests, so there's always great variety in the music.
    Originally posted by Hobbes
    I thought all Goths hung out at the road near Netshop in temple bar? I heard it was a secret Goth burial ground.

Um, no... Those are the stupid nu-metal kids again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Um, no... Those are the stupid nu-metal kids again...

They do seem to popup in every conversation about goth/metal music on the boards. I wonder if we could get amitemplebarornot.com to educate people?

anyway I present... the semi complete "alternative" club guide.... Dublin. or something

Whelans would be the first thing people say if you went up to them and said "alternative". Obviously they classify alternative as Beck and Blur and similar guitary ballad style songs. Impossible to move until they open the dance floor around 11pm. Nicer on Thursdays than Saturdays.

Temple bar music centre do some alterno stuff occasionaly on thursday usually after some bands. Nice but drinks are unbeliavably expensive.

Isaac Butts have an alterno night on Fridays. I went on the first night of this and it was dire... empty with pathetic music. dont know if it has picked up.

Thomas Reid aka the Oak on Dame street is pretty good on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays but gets jammers very quickly. I dont find the crowd that friendly either. Get in early with a bunch of mates and its grand but beware that everyone else is trying to do the exact same thing.

Fibbers (club aquarium parnell st) is the cheapest (drinks wise, still that 7euro in though), most varied, and place your most likely to be able to breathe in but can be a bit bleak any other day than Saturday. Still my preffered choice.

Bruxelles has 80% of dublins metallers in one contained area... Im convinced some pissed off skanger will nuke it one day and wipe us out... grand on weekdays but prepare to wait six weeks for a half pint (it was a full one leaving the bar) on a saturday.

Eamon Dorans downstairs is great when its good but as it doesnt seem to have any sort of pattern for when they are playing alterno or standard muck (at least none that I can see) you could be in for a variable night.

That theatre up past christchurch (cant remember name) had a sort of alterno night thing at one stage on a thursday.. I dont know if its still going.... I also remember it being quite empty.

Finally Goth stuff there really is only Dominion (which has been covered already) and Spellbound in the temple pub last friday of every month. For what its worth I prefered spellbound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

There's also a punk/metal/industrial club in Parnell Moonies on Thursdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Originally posted by Shinji

No sense of adventure!

says Shinji after a night in the george.

Haven't been in the George in years, literally. :)

It's a good night out though. You should give it a shot sometime :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Shinji
    It's a good night out though. You should give it a shot sometime :)
    Ronan! I think you've pulled... ;)

You aul charmer!

Ahh now Dav you know I wouldn't do that to you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

AngelWhore, whats wrong whit the 'nu-metal' kids?
    If theres anything wrong it's whit you satanist wannabes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wannabe what
    ?

Originally posted by Uphamizer
    AngelWhore, whats wrong whit the 'nu-metal' kids?
    If theres anything wrong it's whit you satanist wannabes.

Mainly because the nu-metal kids annoy me quite often.
    And people often think that the kids hanging outside TBMC in their slipknot hoodies and baggy pants are 'Goths'...

Please, go on though...
    Firstly, how would you know what religion I am? "Wannabe" or otherwise.
    And what would it have to do with anything?
    Where did you get your oh-so conclusive evidence on this?
    And, what exactly, are you reffering to?
    What is 'Wrong' as such with the satanist wannabes?

Advertisement