Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Problem :(

• 21-10-2000 5:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Got a new laptop here, and I installed a freash copy of windows 98SE.
    The modem in it is an internal LT winmodem.

When I dial any isp I can hear it dialing, but then I just get an engaged tone. I have even tried to ring the house number, but same thing. I have messed around with the area codes etc, the modem seems to be installed correctly.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well if its an engaged tone that usually means theres a problem at the other end.

Sure you dont have to dial 9 or somthing to get an outside line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

some modems will bar a number after a certain number of retries and even bar a number it never dialled....
    so go into hypertrm open a new session named test... click ok... type 1234 for phone number and make sure your modem is listed in the connect using box.. click ok.. click cancel..
    type:
    ATZ
    pc says ok
    ATE1 (same as atz)
    ok
    ATI9 (checks regional setup)
    ok
    ATX0DT123456(the phone number you want to connect to)
    it should say login
    it may say barred....
    if it says no carrier or no dial tone make sure u have the 5.71 drivers.. i think they are the newest version of the drivers

if this still doesn't solve the prob... hmm i'll come up with some more ideas hehe

.logic.

oh and if it says barred then type atz and return 20 times in succession...

[This message has been edited by logic1 (edited 21-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Logic,

I just tried that, but when try to connect to the number, I still get the engaged tone, and around 30 seconds later the "No carrier" error.

I have just installed the latest drivers, same thing.

Any more ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

you could try checking out this site: www.modemhelp.com
    i haven't had a chance to look at this site so i don't know if it's any good - a mate gave me the link!

"drink up trig were going"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Got it working at last!!!

Logic got me thinking of the banned numbers, so I added a string to bypass the number blocking and hey presto!!! m33p m33p m33p !!!!!

Ta for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement