Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[GP Faults]- A question?

• 23-01-2002 4:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

K I'm running Win98SE, and I'm just wondering how my Kernel32.dll could be causing a GPF. I already know what GPFs are, just to save you explaining. But what I don't know is what could cause Explorer.exe having so many GPFs in Kernel32.dll, and other files also? :(

The other thing that bugs me is that when it happens, all the icons in my system tray (bar the little yellow speaker) dissappear. This is really frustrating, coz I always like to see those the dialup connection icon flashing (indication transfer). Actually is there anyway for me to manually bring that icon back during a connection. Or would I have to hang up and dial back in again?

Now when I say I have a lot of GPFs from that program (Explorer.exe), I mean I have them about once every 3/4 weeks. The system remains stable after I dismiss the error, and a restart is not necessary. But can anyone guess why this could be happening?

cheers lads, ;)

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

that is a common symthom of "the windows timebomb"

back in my days of innocence when i used windows i formated and reinstalled every 2 months otherwise the system became un-usable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I know a lot of people might disagree with me here, but I actually find Win98SE quite stable. I do know it has it's querks, but there are a few rules of thumb and small/few patches available to clear things up.

As a development platform, it's not the best, but then again this thread has nothing to do with your or my opinion of the OS.

Anyone else?

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

quick answer.........I don't know but I'm guessing you need to reformat. I find if you patch win98se completely and install a decent regcleaner like this then you shouldn't have *many problems ;)

Try getting a replacement for the standard defrag as well, I'm using diskkeeper myself.

use this to make sure you have your critical updates and fixes etc.....

I used to re-install every 2 months or so but I've somewhat figured out the little quirks and it's been running solid and still as fast for the past 5 months.

If it starts to slow down or give you problems I find a quick re-install of your drivers/devices usually does the trick.

Although the multitasking in 98 is quite bad whereas in 2k you can defrag and work at the same time :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Cheers tac for that :)
    Originally posted by tactical anni
    whereas in 2k you can defrag and work at the same time :eek:

Really?, now that I didn't know. I couldn't imaging decend disk performance during that. You would want sh1t loads of RAM for that to be anyway practical.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

windows 2000 professional supports 2 cpu's and 4gigabytes of ram ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

is when windows has a problem with the current application, i think,........the best solution is a restoration of the program to factory settings......or a delete n Reinstall the software

Advertisement