Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inter-railing

Options
  • 24-01-2002 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

what's the deal with that, then???

have you been interrailing (recently or otherwise)

what was good? why?

what was bad? why?

where did you go/stay? (good/bad/kennel?)

where should i go? what should i see when i get there?

are there any well-kept secrets you wanna tell me?? (aww, go on, i'm nice!!)

any other advice?? links?? cash??

i'd love to have any advice, information, anecdotes, etc about interrailing anyone might have.

i'm hoping to go this year, and i have no idea about anything to do with it!! where? when? with whom? can i affort to? can i afford not to?? what should i bring...oh the questions!!!!(great start, eh!)

thanks a million 4 readin my crazy ramblings..bye!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'd be interested too, potentially, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start......... so any information from anyone who's tried it would be appreciated.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

im going inter-railing this summer with a few mates, i dont have many details about it myself, but apparently the deal is u pay around £250 and you get an unlimited use train ticket (undergrounds, the whole lot). After that its easy, go wherever you like.

Our plan is to go the route Brussels - Amsterdam - Germany - Austria - Czech Rep - Italy - France. Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

I heard that when you buy your ticket you can only pick three countries to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

You pay per region....

1 region might include: France, Belgium and Luxembourg... You can also pay for all regions together. It works out much cheaper and isn't that restricting....

BUT BE WARNED..... While u THINK u have unlimited travel in these areas u are being mislead... ON almost 60% of trains u MUST pay a discopunted Student rate... Usually reasonable.... It is very difficult to go on the other trains as they have only usually got a very limited schedule. UNlike here, in europe there are numerous train firms with different attitudes to Inter-railers...

I have travelled around alot in Europe by train but not on inter-rail. I found it quite easy and inexpensive as is... I recommand u double-think the inter-rail ticket and calculate if u r going to be getting a train every second day or not...

I would say get the ticket if u only plan on visiting no more than 10 cities. If u start getting an inter-country train every second day u will find yourself forking up alot of Additional costs for tickets than u expected + the inter-rail ticket also €350 approx...

gl...
    I'll be doing it this summer if anyone wants to start off with someone i wouldn't mind starting off with them for the first couple of days... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Bleh, I'm in two minds what to do, I'll probably just pick up a cheap plane ticket to somewhere after the Exams are over in june, I don't think I'd get my money's worth from an inter-rail ticket, prefer to hang around somewhere for a few days and see more of it than cram a load of places in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 k8e

i am goin inter railin dis summer, ive it booked and everything.but it involved alot of planning it ws nt dat hard 2 arrange everything cos loads of my m8s hav done it b4 so i gt lots of g8 advise.

1. go to usit or check out der website, decide on wher u want 2 go. d way it works is u choose a zone ie. a group of countries u want 2 visit. d price of d inter railin ticket depends on how many zones u r going 2. (for 2 zones its 275euro dis is d new price as they hav recently changed, der cheaper!!)
    you can visit from 1 to 3 countries.

2. b4 u book ur inter railin pass make sure dt if ur flyin dat u hav dem booked first,as u can get ur inter railin pass whenever and den jst work around d flight dates.

3. find someone 2 stay der is lots of gr8 hostels, hotels, campsites, b&bs etc or u cud sleep on d train. stay someone near d train station u will b glad u did.

4. its best 2 get travel&medical insurance.

5. plan a travel route which will probably change after d 1st day, but plan it anyway

6. agree on some sites 2 visit b4 hand so u and ur mates dnt start d hol off in a fight.

NB! passport and money r needed. go wit mates u trust and get on well it.

this is a good startin pt but makesure u hav lots of cash.
    i am visitin 7 countries 4 on a 22 day holiday and its costing
    €110 4 flights
    €275 4 inter railin pass
    €600 4 accomdates
    +spending money

i think it will b worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

went last summer.. excellent experience..

we didn't really do much planning at all.. just had a rough outline of what cities we wanted to see and paid our 300euro for ticket, covering all regions. however in croatia, we had to use buses/ferrys which was a nice change.
    with regards to accomadation, it shouldn't take longer than a half hour to organise when arriving at any new city.. don't bother organising it before you go out unless you know someone out there..
    you could also consider travelling by night. get a bunk on a train for an additional charge, usually around 10euro.. or if you get stuck for cash like we did, just lie across 3 or 4 seats.

you'll find that if you plan it out, you probably won't stick to it. some places we thought we would stay a week, ended up leaving after a day. other places we were just passing through, ended up staying for a week..
    just do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

wtf, just discovered this thread is over 3yrs old!

k8e, you crazy man! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

7 days in 22 countries :S
    Ive spent a week in Budapest, a week in Madrid and a week in Berlin over the last 5 months and I left each city disatisfied that I hadnt seen enough and hadnt spent my time wisly in each city. Although I had great times in each place and thought they were brilliant ,I could have done a lot lot more.

Two friends of mine did what your doing last summer. They spent 3 weeks travelling from Berlin to Paris,Amsterdam,Barcalona,Rome and back to Berlin. They claim they have seen Europe and refuse to go interrailing again this year because they have seen Europe already. You have no idea how angry this makes me :D

With that said the way to get the maximun from your three weeks is to just go non ****ing stop. Sleep on trains and dont sleep during the day. the travelling aspect is awful and its a nightmare dragging bags around the place. However with all my bitching said and done your gonna have a class time no matter what happens.
    Stay in hostels all the way. You meet crazy people (mostly Americans who constantly talk about America) and its the best way to find out what to do in the city because most people staying in hostels are there for the same reason you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Irishstudent

Hey, not sure if anyone is still on this post, but just wondering whats it like travelling alone for a week or two while interrailing. Friends flying over but cant fly over for about 10 days after i want to go (we';re all working different times and doing different thesis' or is it theses?) I hate flying and thinking of juswt interrailing all the way from rosslare or whereever (yes i know thats a ferry :D ) Although if i get attacked on a train, then ill prob be unconscious for the night and wont have to pay for a hostel. so interrailed alone b4? Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement