Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John LeCarrie

Options
  • 24-01-2002 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Currently working my way through LeCarrie's spy novels and I seem to be noticing an annoying trait. From the ones I've read so far (Tailor of Panama, Spy who came in, The honorable schoolboy, "Tailor, tinker, soldier spy"), it seems like he ends everyone with the main character (or at the very least a major 'good' character) dieing in the last ten pages. The first time it was a shock, the second a surprise , the third was expected and fourth was predicted. Is it just me or is this a complete downer and just takes away completly from the excellently written books? Then maybe it is just the ones I've read.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

"It's better to end with a funeral, that with a wedding"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Read quite a few LeCarre books when I was 12 or 13. Thought well of them but stopped reading them for the reason you've mentioned - bit predictable. Also features the "gullible fool confused by a greedy bad guy who seems good to the protagonist".

Can't knock them for writing though.

Advertisement