Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floppy not working?

• 24-01-2002 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

When i boot my system it displays the primary and secondary master and slave and all that....then it does the search for the floppy and all it says is "floppy fail (40)" The busy light on the floppy stays on constant but there is no noise from it. When windows loads on and i click the floppy the system stalls for a minute then works as normal but the floppy won't work, i've tried 2 different floppy drives and neither of them work. The board i'm using is the Epox 8KHA+. I've also changed the floppy cable to see if it was it but no joy there....i'd be greatful for any help cuz i really need it working for college stuff....

cheers

Farls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hmmm.....curiously enough, this is exactly what happened when I fried the floppy connnecter on my brother's motherboard. Floppy failed BIOS test, and Windows went a bit crazy, said there was 2 floppy drives (which there wasn't), and stalled for ages when we tried to access it. This could be the problem, or the busy light always being on usually signifies an IDE cable put in the wrong way.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

ok check that the floppy cable is the right way around on both the motherboard and the floppy dirve, now for most floppy drives the red goes towards where the power point is, however there are a few where this is NOT the case ( the toshiba drives if i remember) .
    also check in the bios that the drive is set to the right size (1.44 , 2.5 , 720 k) which ever your drive is.
    it sounds like its a cable issue but it could also be that the drive size is wrong in the bios.
    well i hope this helps,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Normally, on ide cables the red signifies pin one, so all you need to do is check beside the floppy connector on your mother board for a small "1" at one end - this is where the red side goes. Same procedure for the drive.

If this is ok, then a new floppy drive should only cost aroun €15-20. If you have been doing a lot of plugging and unplugging, it may also be worth trying a new floppy cable as Megatron suggested

Good luck

Advertisement