Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired: An Odd Broadband Offer in Oz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Isn't this what Eircom were initially hoping to offer - well, the cable TV, video on demand, telephony and high speed net access part in any case - but were stifled by NTL's rights for the next couple of years - in the Dublin area at least? (What a sentence)

It would have been interesting to see what pricing package they would have been proposing.

One scary factor that would worry people maybe:

At present, the system only has roughly 2,000 subscribers out of 22,000 homes passed.

This reminds me of the number of failures for the current aDSL trials.

The population of 100,000 homes isn't too far off the mark here either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Isn't this what Eircom were initially hoping to offer - well, the cable TV, video on demand, telephony and high speed net access part in any case - but were stifled by NTL's rights for the next couple of years - in the Dublin area at least?

Indeed, but this all should by rights change this year, because NTL and Chorus will lose their exclusivity clause, as part of the package that allowed them raise their prices. Eircom are in an odd position now, because they don't have a lot of cash to spend on infrastructure like they did a couple of years ago, but ESB are certainly in a good position to roll out something like this. Once again though, I won't be holding my breath - announcements do little or nothing for me at this stage. When a product is rolled out, then I may start clapping.
    One scary factor that would worry people maybe:

At present, the system only has roughly 2,000 subscribers out of 22,000 homes passed.

This reminds me of the number of failures for the current aDSL trials.

The population of 100,000 homes isn't too far off the mark here either.

Well, they do say that they haven't contacted everyone yet, although they could of course be fibbing. An interesting one to watch though. I imagine the ESB will be peering over their shoulder...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jmason

Adam sed:

(Justin moves to Canberra.)

not a hope, it's a kip apparently!

I'm about to up sticks, disconnect the Telstra DSL and go travelling around (read: offline) for 4 months. Let's see how I handle <b>that</b> ;)

See yis in June!

Seriously though, IMO this is a great way to do consumer broadband. Why do telcos think they know what the compelling content is going to be for consumers? Answer: they don't. And the result is multiple millions spent on 'content development' -- ie. Eircom's failed content forays.

Advertisement