Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus/Irish Multichannel Broadband via Wireless and Cable

• 22-10-2000 5:12pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.chorus.ie/at_home.html

These guys are good, not bull$hitters like Genesis and Co.

Blade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Guess who's going to be lpb within the next few months biggrin.gif

OWNAGE

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

A Chorus guy called to my house on friday night...somehow he thought i wasnt already connected to cable tv... tongue.gif
    anyway, seems like I will be converted over to digital tv within the next month and although he was a muppet when it came to knowledge of the high speed cable internet, he did say it would be within 3 months...first they are concentrating on the digital tv, then the phone and then the net it seems... he sais the techs were testing the digital cable circuit in my estate that day...
    wooohoo...finally it seems that there is a purpose to all that road digging for the past year...well...at least soon anyway....maybe .....i hope ....... pleeeeease...

licksy2.jpg
    Don't even think about it...™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i'll have it b4 christmas 8)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

These guys are good, not bull$hitters like Genesis and Co.

Before I start, why do you say Genesis are bull****ters? They haven't even launched yet for gods sake!

But anyway, what's good about De Multi? If you have one of their cables coming into your house, you should know that they can't even run a regular cable network, never mind digital, telephony or Internet. I wouldn't give one of those guys a bloody plug to wire. And customer support? They're even worse than Eircon.

They just rebranded lads. It's the same company, with the same products and services. Jesus, I even sent an email to their business enquiries address last night and it bounced! Yeah, these guys know all about the Internet - they can't even set up and email mapping for chrissakes!

adam

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

LOL well as I said in my other post when a so called techie from Genesis was put on the phone to me and tried to tell me I'd get 10 times the speed of a current modem using their system and yet I wouldn't have to replace my modem for any new hardware, I figure thats reason enough to believe their full of $hit. And no I wasn't the only person to get this cr@p from them, some of the other people who rang up got even wilder stories and they tried to sell them some cr@ppy celeron systems for over a grand with a 'modem' in it telling them they'd get broadband speeds from it from Nov 1st.

The difference with Chorus/Irish Multichannel is that they actually will have broadband via cable and Wireless MMDS through Princes Holdings license which is only 1 of 4 companies who were given them.

Blade

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 23-10-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

(Not getting into Genesis in this thread)
    The difference with Chorus/Irish Multichannel is that they actually will have broadband via cable and Wireless MMDS through Princes Holdings license which is only 1 of 4 companies who were given them.

So, they have a licence - so what? Where's their rollout dates? Will they be rolling it out before an Irish telco rolls out a DSL-variant? But more importantly, iIf they do, will it work? At the moment, De Multi works properly here in Cork about 75% of the time. They say that this is because they're upgrading the network, but I haven't seen a Chorus van in my neighbourhood of late. How happy will you be with your cable access when it isn't working a quarter of the time? How happy will you be when 100 other people in your locality log on, and you go back to the World Wide Wait?

Nah, unless there's an *enormous* delay with xDSL, you can keep it. For me, dealing with De Multi is like dealing with Eircon. Which is like dealing with the Devil. Personally, I'd be a happy man if I could rip up the copper and cable and insert it in an available salespersons orifice.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive had tehre connection to sky etc... for a while now and no probs with it . course it helps when you know the tec support guys . if it is true which im goig to have a look now ill be joining .

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Chorus support is ***, i rang them first and the line was closed for sundays, ive emailed them and ive no reply yet :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

whats the story with pings for games? i've heard some ppl say it will be l33t, but others sed that there is ****e upload speed, so it will only be good for downloading.

i have no choice, because i'm not the one whos getting it, but i still want my l33t ping

i rang them today, they said i'll definitely have it by the middle of next year. I dunno if thats good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

re. pings... should be very good (assuming the ISP does not oversubscribe their capacity, has a well-designed network, and good routes exist to your favourite servers).

"Speed" is not a good word to use - don't confuse bandwidth limits with latency.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

They recently bought half of a massive trans atlantic pipe to the U.S. They've some big players behind them I'm tellin ya wink.gif

Blade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

/me calculates..
    wow! that means we'll have high speed connects here in bogger land bu the year 2102! not bad.. now wheres that anti-aging cream...

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

Advertisement