Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of competition for Eircom?

Options
  • 24-01-2002 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Formus executives try again

Enn article
    Pricing and product names for the service have not yet been released, but the company says it will target dial-up and ISDN users and pricing will be "competitive" with Eircom's expected ADSL price of EUR99. Eircom's wired ADSL service, I-stream, is currently not available due to a row between the telecom and the ODTR over wholesale prices.
    Now ENN have been a bit gullible in the past but there may be something here to make Eircom think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

:D ExcellenT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hmmmm

Im tempted to say 'seen it all before' , and i think i just did :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

thats exactly what i was thinking

Btw, if someone was serious about wireless, they have it up and running within 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

there is such a thing as getting too cynical though :)

they are saying they'll have it up and running in 2 months so let's just wait and see. If they do it will be fantastic, and even the threat of competition is better than no competition at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

If this worked it would be a Dream come true. Waiting hopefully :)

• Advertisement

although I have seen Formus and Hyper-Lan (http://www.hyper-lan.com) try to deliver the same sort of product, I do have some hope in this EAP service, as these people have already failed once in this area. They surely would not try again if they were not serious about it ......

fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Hmmm, they're not going to be using the old Formus license as thats not there anymore. The ODTR are undecided about what they'll do with it but if its put on offer again there'll be a competition to obtain it.

I wonder are they using WiFi ? It'd be nice to see a commercial group do this. One wonders why they need millions of Euros though. They might get into the same financial hole as before.

The service was good but they just borrowed too much money I think. If they start out small and reinvest their income into expanding the network it should take off. Good luck to them.

Wonder will they be rolling out before the CorkWan though ?

:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Wonder will they be rolling out before the CorkWan though ?

Not a hope... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

First I'll say I'd welcome this service if it goes ahead.

Next let me say Eircom is a massive company in the Irish telecom market, it was put into a dominant position by the state and now that it is no longer owned by the state it does not have to provide services to the citizens of this country it's a business now. So it's a Frakenstein created by the state a near monopoly, just like most monopolies like microsoft for example eircom can put a death grip on their little island ie the telecoms infrastructure that was put in place while the state owned eircom. What the internet access market in this country needs is a telecom ryanair, something very, very very cheap. The real difference between Ryanair and some company trying to move into the telecoms market into this country is that Ryanair does not have to use Aer Lingus aeroplanes, ergo Eircom can effectively filibuster any move that would utilise their network, all the while squeazing their profitable dial up business, lets thank the powers that be for the wisdom to make such a bohemoth within Irish telecoms market.

/Rant phasers to stun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Yes, we desparatly need a Ryanair of telecoms here. While, I'm not sure about the the Ardagh project, every bit of genuine competition is to be welcomed. If they can get the pricing right, they can clean up in the Irish market. The fact that it does not rely on Eircom's local loop is encouraging. It does not appear to be aimed at the residential market but these things tend to have a knock on effect.

More in the Indo here
    The fixed wireless system should be up-and-running by the end of March and will initially service the Dublin city area, but will be expanding quickly to the greater Dublin area.

It is hoped that other cities would also be serviced in about eighteen months' time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I think ill have my N0Cat WiFi 80211.2b copllete with bandwidth allocation and roaming facillity before then. Details very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Apologies...Typo error :( 802.11b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Yes, we desparatly need a Ryanair of telecoms here

Interesting Angle Mike !
    Hadn't thought of that one. We need to get Michael O'Leary to buy €ircom maybe- He's well used to locking horns with Mary O'Rourke;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

we did have the ryanair of the telecoms sector, it was called esat and it was run by o brien.

thats exactly what it was, a pretty crap service but it got you o nthe net for the lowest prices around. just like ryanair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Ryanair is making a profit from all their services and are continuously trying to reduce prices.

Esat brought out a net product that failed. However, fair play to them for at least trying.

Originally posted by dathi1
    I think ill have my N0Cat WiFi 80211.2b copllete with bandwidth allocation and roaming facillity before then

what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Ryanair is making a profit from all their services and are continuously trying to reduce prices.

Esat brought out a net product that failed. However, fair play to them for at least trying.

Hey Marcus, one thing you must remember! They only failed because of Sh.itecoms prices, if they hadn't being paying so much to above company :) they would have been successful and would have probably branched out looking for more customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Well they knew the game before they played really. They knew what they were paying. Fair play though that they made some attempt and misjudged how unmoving Eircom would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Well they knew the game before they played really. They knew what they were paying. Fair play though that they made some attempt and misjudged how unmoving Eircom would be

No one should misjudge them, they won't move unless they get hoooge sums of money, this is what the future holds for eircom I-Stream

I-Stream solo (Not enough digits to process price)
    with 5Kbps cap 3 million per kb thereafter!

Anyway I'll stop ranting it's only making me hate them more, hopefully this new eap.ie company will do something interesting for us? Who knows.

Advertisement