Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay board.

• 24-01-2002 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just browsing around there seems to be boards for almost everything going up I think it's only right to have a gay board.

In all honesty I'm not sure how many people post on here but there must be a large number of gay people who may not want to ask for a board themselves due to the general attitude. Anyway just a suggestion.

.logic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

Originally posted by logic1
    Just browsing around there seems to be boards for almost everything going up I think it's only right to have a gay board.
    there is no cooking board either :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Pablo
    there is no cooking board either :rolleyes:

Why don't you try checking out the food/drink board under after hours. :rolleyes:

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

FYI
    This was thrashed out relatively recently here....http://troll.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32959&highlight=homosexual

Logic, the same thing you just replied to Pablo could be said in the context of the After Hours board.....If there is real demand for a "Gay" board then there should at least be some resemblance of a demand to discuss such matters:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

right maybe bad example . (cooking board)

what would a gay board be trying to achieve ?

a place to organise meetings ?

a place where people can discuss about coming out ?

a place to discuss the problem of societies attitude to homosexuals ?

you see if you clearly state that the board is just for gay issues you then , put it up on a platform , showing that it is some thing different. Sorry to come crashing in like this. Gay is normal as far as i can see. {and i see straight}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

logic and loomer sitting in a treee-eee k-i-s-s-i-n-g,
    First comes love, second comes marriage (although you'll have to leave the country first),
    and third comes the bab...

Well not in this version.

It was discussed here already, and the general consensus was, not enough demand, and that it would be a bit exclusionary, I mean what can you talk about thats gay, and doesnt fit into the other boards?

I dont think anyone was majorly against it, but there simply has never been a demand (that might change with this post) and what will be discussed there (what is so typically gay that doesnt fit into another category, or just plain isnt appropriate for boards.ie).

<edit>gah!!, 80p got there before me</edit>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

almost everything going up

sorry but the that pun just stood out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I dunno, a gay board might make the other boards uncomforable. They might even laugh at it.

Anyway board is either gay or not, an administrator has no right to determine the sexuality of a board.

Originally posted by stereo_steve
    I dunno, a gay board might make the other boards uncomforable. They might even laugh at it.

Anyway board is either gay or not, an administrator has no right to determine the sexuality of a board.

are you from earth??

seriously though, I don't think that there should be one. I don't mind gays but it pisses me off when they start talking about rights and wanting things eg parades, boards etc.

I don't hold up a flag saying "straight" walking in a parade and theres no "straight board" why should the gays be treated any different?

seriously though, I don't think that there should be one. I don't mind gays but it pisses me off when they start talking about rights and wanting things eg parades, boards etc.

I don't hold up a flag saying "straight" walking in a parade and theres no "straight board" why should the gays be treated any different?

gah!!, nobody's stopping you though, and seriously I do think you have an incy wincy problem ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

The only problem is that I can see people who actually post on the board serious will just be slagged etc by the various types of muppets that use the boards.

We don't have a sex board for hetrosexual people, so I think if you where to follow logics idea, set up a few boards, hetro-bi- homo sexual boards, maybe a dating one.

Again, all these have potential to be abused by twats, but some people might find them usefull.

T'is worth a shot tho, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ah didn't see the other thread. Thanks for that Baz. Also thanks for the lovely poem. I'm putting it on my wall.

Lets consider the passage closed. I mean matter the matter closed.

.logic.

Oh be nice!!

.logic.

From earth? Course I am, I just disagree with having a gay board. If you go down that road why not have a black,chinese,different religion board? we could have a different category for everyone!

Why can't it just be left as it is, everyone is anonymous having a good time!

From earth? Course I am, I just disagree with having a gay board. If you go down that road why not have a black,chinese,different religion board? we could have a different category for everyone!

Why can't it just be left as it is, everyone is anonymous having a good time!

Why, what's wrong with the blacks and chinese?

.logic.

Nothing at all! Everyone is equal no matter what there colour, nationality,religion or sexuality is. Thats my point so why should different groups be split up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hate not to sound modren and everything, but a gay board doesnt present a very positive image. i feel it probably would have an advise affect on our membership recruitment.

and it would be open season on muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

To save the mods alot of time bining threads(which they all love :] ) it would be pointless havin the many fools that post up saying "AH HA he is gay AH HA" followed by a load of "shut up u fool" maybe when all these dopes get fed up posting that they cud put up such boards. good idea though everyone shuold be able to voice thier opinion or that

Odian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

A 'gay' board would only discriminate against homosexual people. Boards.ie is for discussing various topics, and the different boards try to group together topics.

If a homosexual person wants to talk about Games, then they should post on the games board. If they want to talk about homosexuality, they can post to the humanities board, and possibly the politics board depending on the subject.

If the reason you want a homosexual board is for private adds etc then look at sites like www.alternativeireland.com which offer such a service.

Boards.ie catagorises its boards by the subject of posts, not by the sexual orientation or religion of the poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Boston
    Hate not to sound modren and everything, but a gay board doesnt present a very positive image. i feel it probably would have an advise affect on our membership recruitment.

Yes, I agree. The bible clearly states that homosexuallity is a sin and therefore the good catholic members of the boards would flee to somewhere where wholesome family values are enshrined, like p45.net.

In fact words such as homosexuality, gay, lesbian, buggary, felching, and rimming should be added to the smut filter, to stop some of the younger members brains being warped into the cult of homosexuality.

P.S hey Boston! a/s/l?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

gaaaaahhhh. can't. stop. self.

amp test

Anyway, we already have a gay board here.

[additional]
    :D
    [/additional]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

This reminds me of the firefighter statue thing in NYC. Shouldn't there have been a gay firefighter in the statue??

There is such thing as making too much effort to be PC. Also, this is a family board system and it's possibly not a good idea to introduce sexuality issues of any sort into it - gay, straight or otherwise.
    Maybe we should have an 'above average height' board, or possibly a 'green eyed-people board' or a 'people who prefer cotton jumpers to wollen' board or some such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

There is a "Gay scene" though, so if any gay peeps want the board just shout and im sure it will be created but i think logic1 originally asked for the board, but are you straight or gay, if your straight its kinda forced PC dont ya think...uhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about a terminating celibacy board?

Originally posted by amp

Yes, I agree. The bible clearly states that homosexuallity is a sin and therefore the good catholic members of the boards would flee to somewhere where wholesome family values are enshrined, like p45.net.

In fact words such as homosexuality, gay, lesbian, buggary, felching, and rimming should be added to the smut filter, to stop some of the younger members brains being warped into the cult of homosexuality.

P.S hey Boston! a/s/l? [/B]

Yes your right, im a religious freak, i live in a church, and sacrifice small children to me STRAIGHT god.

DeadBankClerk makes a clear and good point, its kinda like partition, what dont you want gay topics in after hours.
    So you dont mind gay topics once they stay i nthe privacy of their gay forum and dont try to turn non gay topics gay.

all i was saying is that what regular member would post in a gay forum, most people, though openly gay in real life, have no wish to be so on the net. so your not going ot have mainy regs. so you will have several new members and all the **** that goes with havign a forum full of newbies

Originally posted by chernobyl
    There is a "Gay scene" though, so if any gay peeps want the board just shout and im sure it will be created but i think logic1 originally asked for the board, but are you straight or gay, if your straight its kinda forced PC dont ya think...uhh.

I didn't ask for the board chernobyl I simply suggested that it might be an idea to have one. And my sexual preference is none of your business.

If truth be known I like lemmings the best.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Perhaps a Community Board?

all i was saying is that what regular member would post in a gay forum, most people, though openly gay in real life, have no wish to be so on the net.

.photo10.jpg

BECOME STRAIGHT THROUGH TEH POWER OF TEH INTARWAB!
    TOUCH TEH SCREEN, FAEGS, AND YOU SHALL BE CURED!
    PRAISE JEBUS!

P.s Boston, nice sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

we already have a homosexuality board

the CS board, they are all GEAY!

FEAGS!

ps. hey amp, nice sig

• Advertisement

So you dont mind gay topics once they stay i nthe privacy of their gay forum and dont try to turn non gay topics gay.

OH NOE!! Just by reading that I feel a little gay already.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

ohh theres a suprise :)

But i think MP has the right idea all being said a community board..
    private entry and no one except the gods will know.....

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

ps. hey amp, nice sig

Thanks, at least when I nicked it from you it was slightly ironic.

And how come you're whinging on about insurance for? Sure getting insured for the same car over here would probably cost you more than the car.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

If anything, I feel greatly sorry for those of different sexuality - For the simple reason that the Internet has it's fair share of narrow-minded, arrogant people who, for one thing, see Homosexuality as a thing to be made fun of, or they simply cannot understand that there are such things as "Differences" in people... The word "Gay" of "You're a faeg!" etc seems to be quite a popular form of insult amonst the majority of people who shower the Internet (But then again, the ones using these insults are small minded youngsters, but they can be hurtful none the less)

Never had any problem with gay people, and I'll admit I know a quite a few on IRC / Boards.

There are valid reasons at to why there shouldn't be a Gay boards, much the same as there are also valid reasons there should be...

I have a tendancy to look at all things negatively first, during assessment, and the first thing that ran through my mind on seeing this thread was an image of some arrogant little **** going to the board with nasty intentions such as spouting "HAHAHA YUO AER GAEY!", or registering a new nick to pretend he is Gay and snare people, or to simply read on people's discussion and have a jolly good laugh. There are too many people out there who would simply not understand the boards purpose, and even if we did have one, would gay members of the community actually have open discussions!? or would they remain silent, out of fear!?

Like a few of you stated, we are equal after all, regardless of sexuality, and making a Gay Board would be like drawing a chalk line over the Internet and telling homosexuals to **** off over to their side and stay there...

Originally posted by amp

.photo10.jpg

BECOME STRAIGHT THROUGH TEH POWER OF TEH INTARWAB!
    TOUCH TEH SCREEN, FAEGS, AND YOU SHALL BE CURED!
    PRAISE JEBUS!

P.s Boston, nice sig
    \

I really need to add punctuation to my posts, i ment to say that whilel people may be reg here, and openly gay in real life, they probably wouldnt be as open on here because of the abuse it would lead to.

Ps how do i get the red star, i nicked the sig, because i tend to take the piss sometimes, and like wwm, somepeople just dont get it

Originally posted by Kraken
    ohh theres a suprise :)

But i think MP has the right idea all being said a community board..
    private entry and no one except the gods will know.....

then your into the pc world, it can be read both ways, are you saying that being gay is something that has to be hidden away in a private forum.

im just pointing out all the hassel this will likely cause. in the end its nothing to do with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Why bother discussing a gay board when there is no board that deals with sex/love/relationships/etc at all? After hours i suppose, but P45 have a lovelife board, why not here? gay/straight/logic , any topics at all.
    This has probably been discussed before, so apologies in advance:)

a relationship board? that would get around alot of the pit falls of having a purely gay forum.

Not bad idea, Dustaz for moderator

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Um... no.

Ok, I'll explain that. Ghetto.

Ok I'll explain more: Why not also create lower-tax-bracket board, immigrant board, womens board, protestant board (Regi for Mod! :p ) etc etc.

Then us white middle-class male 20-40 somethings can get on with discussing all the nice topics and tell others to **** OFF TO THEIR BOARD when they invade *our* boards...plural.

If people want to discuss gay issue, hey, I could care less. If anyone jumps on them, I'll kick their asses and you can all pile in for a pic-fest. If people feel intimdated to post about gay issues in public, thats not something I can change easily. I'm not Jesus Christ come to correct the world.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, it would just make a target of them and while I'm always up for a good "fight" people will shy away even further from the glare of a public board.

A private board will be invaded with muppets just as easily... I mean, what are you going to do... ask new members for head to prove they are gay? :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Apologies for using common sense, but I'm in a funny mood.

There is a simple way to determine if we should have a gay board or not.

Is there anyone who would use it? (For the most part that applies to members of the LGBT community, although there would no doubt be many straight users as well).

If there are enough to sustain it then we should have it, otherwise we shouldn't. So hands up if you will use the board, shut up if you wouldn't. People who won't use the board are neither here nor there since there is no rule saying a board must be of value to all or even the majority of users.

(For the record, I'd probably check out the board when I go to boards, but I'm not a regular boardser).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Not bad idea, Dustaz for moderator
    I have enough trouble running my own lovelife, nevermind everyone elses :/

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I may be straight, but I would've still visited it once in a while out of curiosity... Im sure quite a lot of people would, too, but they'd mainly be people who'd hate to admit they visited it...

Either that, or it'd be frequented by underage Pyromaniac's who think that "Your Gay!" / "Faeg!" comments are actually funny...

Originally posted by Dustaz

I have enough trouble running my own lovelife, nevermind everyone elses :/

Man you left yourself open for a royal slaging there, it wwm had done it, i might have taken advantage

Ps how do i get the red star, i nicked the sig, because i tend to take the piss sometimes, and like wwm, somepeople just dont get it

You have to earn the red star of sarcasm.

Clue:
    Notice how my sig is "different" from Wwmans? Notice that his original said "Used with permission.." and mine said "without permission". Do you get it? IT'S TEH FUNNAE JOK!

People probably don't get you, because you can't spell, have bad grammar, can't punctuate, can't sing, can't dance. May I suggest you audition for a boy band?

amp - who just got his pay cheque now, about 40 mins after the banks are closed, and therefore in no mood for fools.

Originally posted by amp

People probably don't get you, because you can't spell, have bad grammar, can't punctuate, can't sing, can't dance. May I suggest you audition for a boy band?

but you still love me baba ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

And my sexual preference is none of your business.

If truth be known I like lemmings the best.

.logic.

I think your slightly reactive there, considering i would rank my question of your sexual preference aside with what gender are you, as i simply have no idea or clue as to who you are.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

We the Women of "Quality Irish Catholic Women" demand that there be equality on the boards, if logic gets his gay board i demand that I get my "Catholic Women for Sale" Board.

:)

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by chernobyl

I think your slightly reactive there, considering i would rank my question of your sexual preference aside with what gender are you, as i simply have no idea or clue as to who you are.
    ;)

No I'm not being reactive at all. As again my gender is none of your business. I have no clue or interest in who or what you are and would appreciate the same.
    if logic gets his gay board i demand that I get my "Catholic Women for Sale" Board.

LOL I don't want it! It was a suggestion for others who may or obviously not want it.

Anyway so far you're the only Woman I've seen here for sale. I don't think your board would get much action ;)

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by DeVore
    I'm not Jesus Christ come to correct the world.

Your not? You learn something new everyday i guess...
    as i simply have no idea or clue as to who you are.
    logic is all man!:)

I dont think there should be a gay board as it'll just cause muppetry! A relationship board however is a good idea.

Originally posted by Mr.Applepie

logic is all man!:)

I dont think there should be a gay board as it'll just cause muppetry! A relationship board however is a good idea.

heheh After all the discussion I quite agree. And Apples relationship board should be stocked with a fresh supply of 18 year old cheer leaders every week.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

And Apples relationship board should be stocked with a fresh supply of 18 year old cheer leaders every week.

.logic.

Now yer talking :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement