Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power supply question concerning AMD mother-board and chip upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

just need to get this straight...

is the socket circled in blue in the pic attached an ATX socket?

sy-5ema3-boards.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Gerry
    erm bonkey, if you open any power supply with a pass through connector, you will see that the mains current does actually pass directly from the input connector to the output, without going through any of the rest of the psu. Therefore it doesn't draw anything from any of the rails on the psu, so it isn't going to affect the rest of your pc.

Oops. My bad. Sorry for misleading anyone.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

ah don't worry about it, I'm just being my usual pedantic self :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

in answer to Pugwash's question about power usage of drives, it's usually written on the spec sheets, i e max wattage at spinup, opening/closing CDROM drawer, etc.

Power(Watts)=Voltage(Volts)xCurrent(Amps) for DC.
    For AC it gets slightly more complicated :)

Hey, here's an idea, anyone want to help mod a 1960s-era Russian Fission Reator core into a Super-conducting pile? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement