Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Angling on the West Coast

Options
  • 25-01-2002 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is fishing anywhere on the Galway/Mayo
    coastline. I am failrly new to fishing and want to fish during the
    "Mackeral off-season" but not sure what is around atm

Sean

Join Ireland Weather Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by tcob1
    Just wondering if anyone is fishing anywhere on the Galway/Mayo
    coastline. I am failrly new to fishing and want to fish during the
    "Mackeral off-season" but not sure what is around atm

Sean
    Don't fish up there myself
    Take a look here..
    http://www.wrfb.ie/

also the fishering reports archived on central fisheries board

http://www.cfb.ie/Angling/update/update.htm

jd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Many thanks for the urls, I will look at them in depth later.

Shame this is very quiet

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i dont fish there either but as long as you're not in an estuarine area i'd say whiting will be plentiful this time of year. it all depends on what kind of place you're fishing from, theres bound to be flounders in the estuaries (altho now is not a good time for them since its cold).

Where I live, theres bass and codling around all winter, but you'll have to ask someone local (unless the website knows) where you can get bass... afaik Galway/Mayo is not a good place for it. When the weather gets a bit warmer (even before the mackerel come in) there will be a lot more fish around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭andell

I believe Scotland is quite good for Salmon at certain times of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Originally posted by Illkillya
    i dont fish there either but as long as you're not in an estuarine area i'd say whiting will be plentiful this time of year. it all depends on what kind of place you're fishing from, theres bound to be flounders in the estuaries (altho now is not a good time for them since its cold).

Where I live, theres bass and codling around all winter, but you'll have to ask someone local (unless the website knows) where you can get bass... afaik Galway/Mayo is not a good place for it. When the weather gets a bit warmer (even before the mackerel come in) there will be a lot more fish around.

Yeah this is true, I live around 10 miles inside the Killary harbour (a
    fjord) and fish tend to be rathjer thin on the ground. I am looking
    through the web sites and trying to see if they suggest anything. I am
    also going to chat with some of the local boat fisherman as they will
    have the local knowledge

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Apparently you can go Blue Fin Tuna fishing off the NorthWest coast now. Read an article in the paper (Irish Times or Indo, can't remember) a month or 2 ago about this guy in Killybeggs who is trying to get the yanks to come over and spend the fortunes that they pay for doing it in the states.

Showed him on killybeggs harbour with a 12ft tuna strung up beside him. those things are worth up to $20,000!!

Haven't a clue how much you'd have to pay or whether they're in season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Scruff
    Apparently you can go Blue Fin Tuna fishing off the NorthWest coast now. Read an article in the paper (Irish Times or Indo, can't remember) a month or 2 ago about this guy in Killybeggs who is trying to get the yanks to come over and spend the fortunes that they pay for doing it in the states.

Showed him on killybeggs harbour with a 12ft tuna strung up beside him. those things are worth up to $20,000!!

Haven't a clue how much you'd have to pay or whether they're in season.
    lin here ealier
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34263
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 psychotic mouse

should be some good shore fishing when the weather subsides a bit - loads of food being stirred up with the bad weather.

Estuarine should be good for flatties

Advertisement