Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Question

• 25-01-2002 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

i am using two computers with Win2k and crossover cable. when i installed windows it set up LAN connection, so all i had to do was plug in the cable and share the drives, printer, and net connection. how do i find out the ip's of the two computers?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you have to give the pcs an address under the tcp ip setting in the network preferences.
    ie. go into my network places, get properties for local network. all networking options will be here.

alternatively open up a dos prompt and tryp ein ipconfig and it will give you the relevant info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Two ways

1. from dos, open a dos window and type ipconfig, press return n there ya have it

2. right click on network neighbourhood - properties - click on tcp/ip and click the properties tab. that'll show ya the ip address.

[edit]Dammit too late again! :D[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

1 other thing... if i set ip's in that, will it affect my ip when i connect to the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Shouldn't do as the modem should be set to obtain its own ip address from your isp. You can check this by right clicking your internet connection in network neighbourhood (as opposed to local connection) and looking at the properties.

However if you wish to share this connection this is a different ball of wax as you are looking at NAT setup etc. and I am not too familiar on setting this up using the Microsoft wizard, as I use a third party prog. to do this

I'm sure someone else here can help if this is the case

well i have the connection shared at the moment, and the main computer has the ip that the modem sets when i dial up, but if i set an ip in network places, as the computer will have two ips, will they conflict or anything?

thanks again

• Advertisement

your ip that you set for the 2 computers will be under tcp/ip settings for your network adapter.
    the modem has its own set of tcp/ip properties that will be auto cobfigured upon connection to isp

Originally posted by Lucifer.POD
    well i have the connection shared at the moment, and the main computer has the ip that the modem sets when i dial up, but if i set an ip in network places, as the computer will have two ips, will they conflict or anything?

thanks again

no.
    i have my computer set up for dsl, and my friend has his system connected to mine via a hub. as long as you can get the two systems wokring towthere, and theone system talking to the outside world, it should be a matter of tweaking.

theres a wizard for it, there always is :)

k, thanks 4 ur help :)

Advertisement