Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JV Jones

Options
  • 25-01-2002 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks she cant write for ****?(fantasy books at least)
    Baker's Boy is an awful book, there are so many badly used clichés taken from most big fantasy books, she cant seem to grasp the concept of passage of time, and generally,
    The Bakers Boy smells of poo©

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*shrug* I liked that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

If I recall correctly (couple of years) it (Book Of Words) was readable enough but I doubt I'll bother reading it again, made the mistake of getting "The Barbed Coil" after that, now that was bad!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

never read the barbed coil, i think i startedit and wasn't too impressed. don't quite remember, i'll prob read it sometime this year or next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by ConUladh
    If I recall correctly (couple of years) it (Book Of Words) was readable enough but I doubt I'll bother reading it again, made the mistake of getting "The Barbed Coil" after that, now that was bad!!!
    I'll read pretty much anything sci-fi or fantasy, doesnt really mean i like it though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I liked the Bakers Boy series, in fact they were the first fantasy books I read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

I thought the law says that The Hobbit has to be the first fanstasy book you read.

Fade to credits
    Scipio_major

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I found her Baker Boy series to be a refreshing change from the usual psudeo-tourist world of the average fantasy book. That said, the Barbed Coil was not vg, and seemed to meander plot wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Celt
    Am I the only one who thinks she cant write for ****?(fantasy books at least)
    Baker's Boy is an awful book, there are so many badly used clichés taken from most big fantasy books, she cant seem to grasp the concept of passage of time, and generally,
    The Bakers Boy smells of poo©

That was a good series! have you read the other two? cause if you only read that one then you're missing out! Time is slow, but the detail is worth it!

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by smiles

That was a good series! have you read the other two? cause if you only read that one then you're missing out! Time is slow, but the detail is worth it!

<< Fio >>
    It's not that it's slow, it's that you turn a page, and your expected to know it's 10 or 20 year's later withour being told.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tbh I didn't enjoy the series that much, it was reacheable, and tbh talking of cliches in fantasy writings?....

I do feel that the plot was very poor, with little orginality, and at times it felt like she'd read some mills and boon "novel" before doing a chapter. Still it wasn't terrible, and if it was your first fantasy series, you probably wouldn't find as many flaws.

Plus it's the Lord of the Rings, then the Hobbit!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nesf
    Tbh I didn't enjoy the series that much, it was reacheable, and tbh talking of cliches in fantasy writings?....

I do feel that the plot was very poor, with little orginality, and at times it felt like she'd read some mills and boon "novel" before doing a chapter. Still it wasn't terrible, and if it was your first fantasy series, you probably wouldn't find as many flaws.

Plus it's the Lord of the Rings, then the Hobbit!
    Probably the problem, i've read almost every major fantasy author before reading Jones.

Advertisement