Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

• 25-01-2002 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

i have just been given an imac.
    can i get a windows emulator?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

PC anywhere, costs about 200£IR whatever the beg that is in euro

(but why on earth would you want to pretend to be a pc when you have a rockin Mac! :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 nick_riviera

Virtual PC is supposed to
    be very good,fairly expensive although you can probably just buy
    the DOS version if you have your own copy of Windows.Requires a plenty of RAM in your Mac though I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sorry, virtual PC is what I meant.

dough:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Yeah, Virtual PC is very good.

To be honest it's nearly easier than having a windows machine.

-> No booting needed, it saves your sessions.
    -> Hardware configuration is done on the Mac side, and is much easier than on a real PC
    ->You don't need a huge amount of memory to run it. VPC 4.0 runs ok on a Mac with 64Mb. (WIndows 98). Naturally more is better :)
    -> VPC itself is only a couple of MB's. It emulates the hadware. It just loads a disk image, which means that it can run any x86 OS, not just windows.

When I first got a Mac, I was worried too about compatibility, but now I can't bear to use a Windows machine. You might think that you'll need an emulator, but unless you *NEED* some proprietry software, then trust me, you won't.

Tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh virtualpc is great for a lot of things.
    It wont be great for stuff like High end Photoshop or video editing tho. Forget about most games too :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement