Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameCube - May 3rd, 249 Euros (£150 Stg)

Options
  • 25-01-2002 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

==========================================
    CTW NewsFlash
    ==========================================

GameCube set for £150 May debut

Nintendo will launch its GameCube console at a price point of 249
    Euros - approximately £150 - across Europe on May 3rd.

Nintendo plans to ship one million units of the system, which has
    already sold circa 2.7 million units in the USA and Japan, for the
    launch period in Europe. The launch will be supported by 20 software
    titles on day one - the largest ever line up of software for a
    platform launch, beating Microsoft's Xbox launch in March by two
    titles.

Details of the launch are set to be revealed publicly by Nintendo
    Europe managing director David Gosen in a pre-recorded web broadcast
    at 9am GMT on Monday morning.

In his speech, Gosen claims that "GameCube will not be targeted at
    kids, it will not be targeted at teens and it will not be targeting
    adults; GameCube will appeal to anyone who enjoys being entertained by
    interactive gaming."

Among the key points highlighted by Gosen in the speech is the
    connectivity between GameCube and Game Boy Advance, which he describes
    as a "true and unique Nintendo asset". "We have more than three
    million Game Boy Advance owners across Europe who have taken the first
    step towards GameCube ownership by buying Game Boy Advance", he
    claims.

Among the launch titles on the platform will be first-party games
    Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race Blue Storm, third party exclusive titles
    Star Wars: Rogue Leader and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and a variety of
    non-exclusive games including FIFA: Road To The World Cup, Tony Hawks
    Pro Skater 3, Batman, Crazy Taxi and Burnout.

A full report will appear in the next issue of CTW.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Wow, i was expecting a £199/€300 price tag, this is certainly the most attractive/consumer friendly console ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

Most of the games on the GameCube are sh!te, they're aimed at children...
    I'm going to put my money into an Xbox :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Most of the games on the GameCube are sh!te, they're aimed at children...

Thank you for your helpful, constructive and entirely uninformed contribution. Please call again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

This is good news, i hope that ninty are finally waking up to the fact that europe is in fact a market and not just a substantial bonus for them. I was dreading the wait to september.

Hehe, now i don't have to fork out EUR 479 on the xbox :) Luigi's mansion and star wars are so close i'd better put on the rubber pants :D

Europe is the second biggest market and by the end of this year with the current growth continued through this year, will make us the biggest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Horray!!!!!!!!

All i need now is to win the lotto and i'm sorted

Oh, and a little bird tells me they're knocking 25% off the price of the GBA in the VERY near future as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The fact that its yet than half the price of the X-Box more than negates the X-Box's headstart. I really can't see the X-Box making a big impact at €500, not with the PS2 hitting its stride and a super-cheap GameCube of comparable performance on the market.

Price cuts on the GBA? I already have one, I need a price cut on those obscenely priced games!

That's also happening - Ninty dropped the cart manufacturing cost recently, I think we're about to start seeing new GBA releases at £29.99 Stg (currently £34.99).

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    I really can't see the X-Box making a big impact at €500,

You gonna play with the config screen of your Xbox only?
    Remember you will want a game or 2 so the actual asking price for an Xbox is €600.
    Only the hardcore will be there on launch day, or the financially blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Shred

Excellent news, I must say

But let's hope the big 'N' will put a bit more effort into Europe this time and not just write it off as they've done before...

I think that the price and the ship-out figure kinda proves that they're going to put the effort into it...

In other news, I have an unconfirmed report that the PAL GameCube will have full native RGB support (no messing around like on the Jap or US systems!) and that by holding the B button at boot, you get a 60Hz native machine. It even remembers your preference for 60Hz in future.

Which is bloody nice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Originally posted by Shinji
    In other news, I have an unconfirmed report that the PAL GameCube will have full native RGB support (no messing around like on the Jap or US systems!) and that by holding the B button at boot, you get a 60Hz native machine. It even remembers your preference for 60Hz in future.

Which is bloody nice really.

That's is great news, and enough to keep me from importing a US machine (as I was about to next week). It should definately put the wind up Xbox too. I mean I like the Xbox put not for that kind of money, if they drop the price for Xmas then probably but in the meantime I'm sure I'll be perfectly happy with my Gamecube with Monkey Ball, Luigis' Mansion, Wave Race, Pikmin, Rouge Leader etc. etc...

Originally posted by chernobyl

You gonna play with the config screen of your Xbox only?
    Remember you will want a game or 2 so the actual asking price for an Xbox is €600.
    Only the hardcore will be there on launch day, or the financially blind.

Thats absolutly insane. I cant believe theyre pricing it at 600Euros ( i dont have the sign on my comp :() . You could get 2.5 Gamecubes for that!! Thankfully im not planning on buying it.

Don't forget the extra €30 for a remote that allows you to watch DVDs either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

hey shinji you have any idea what price the panasonic full size DVD ver will be over here ?

There aren't any plans to release that over here yet :(

lik-sang.com sell region free ones modded to play US and Japanese games though. Still, its a little pricey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

well we have a gamecube in the office here, and a bunch of games, and none of them seem any good to me - most of the good games are the same old cartoony/silly puzzles..

The Star Wars game looks very very good, but it feels like you are going very slowly, (like Ridge Racer 5 - popular bargin bin PS2 game!!) Some levels are very easy, and some are amazingly hard. Apart from the graphics update it plays 100% the same as ye olde X-Wing (1992'ish 386 Star Wars game FYI)

Luigi's mansion is just poo IMHO, no one in the office here likes it. Its selling like hot cakes, and prolly will here - but we'll see how many of them end up in the second hand bin in game :)

Ive never been a big fan of the Tony Hawks games - I dont have much intrest in doing skate board tricks..that said its very popular, so who am I to judge.

I think hardcare ninty fans will like it, but the casual gamer will own a PS2 or an XBox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

if you are buying one of the above systems please sell all your old dreamcast games to game or electronics boutique on grafton/dawson street and email me in advance :)

while you suckers have been buying ps2 games i have been cleaning up in the dreamcast department and buying any good game i see for the system. :P

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    but the casual gamer will own a <edit>XBox

Im sorry but theres nothing casual about owning an Xbox, at the moment its the most elitist console ever released (Europe only).

Its kinda ironic [but more in the pi$$ me off sense], that in the most expensive country in the world..Japan, the Xbox is cheaper than anywhere else..i guess Bill expects Europe to pick up the tab...he will be suprised.

its the most elitist console ever released
    I’m not a huge XBox fan but that’s just waffle, either that or you don’t get the meaning of the words your using..

How much was the PS2 when it was released? How much was the original Playstation. Consoles normally come in at about that £300 region. Gamecube is cheap, that’s amazing and well done to them. Personally I think that’s because they know their games are crap, but that’s just me :)

Xbox has a huge amount of work to do in Asia, as PS2 has huge penetration, and a lot of people are die-hard Ninty fans. Add to that that it does not have a ‘killer app’ a mega game people will buy the console to play, let alone any amazing RPG type game so they need it to cheap or it wont sell the mega units they want down there..

Look at it over here, people over here will/may buy a console for Halo or *sniff* Champ Man etc, so they can take the risk and make it that bit more expensive as our taste in games is closer to the yanks and they have loads of games to suit us.

I think we need to take into account that you work for Sports Interactive and hence your viewpoints on games are fundamentally flawed :)

Xbox is launching into the most compeditive console market ever, and the line of justification that you use and Xbox use "PS2 launched at that price too" is laughable, PS2 lauched with practically no compedition and you cant mark the DC as competition as most peeps at that stage just bough the box and played cd-r from then on.
    the days of £300+ console are over, those days were for the hardcore, most of whom have now migrated over to the unbeatable PC.

If your happy picking up the tab for japan, then on you go, as for me i will wait, as halo isnt reason enough for me to spend €600 and the other euro titles are anything but inspiring.

Shinji - your a fanboy who works for an ailing industry games mag - your hardly free of bias yourself :)

you cant mark the DC as competition
    Of course it was competition, it just did not sell that well against the marketing might of Sony - but it was deffo a threat as it had some great games. As for the comment that most people just used CD-r's. All I will say is that I disagree with you on that point. No one I knew with a DC used mostly cd-r's..
    those days were for the hardcore, most of whom have now migrated over to the unbeatable PC
    ROFL..So who are the people buying Xboxes and Gamecubes on import for 500-600 then, magic monkeys?

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    ROFL..So who are the people buying Xboxes and Gamecubes on import for 500-600 then, magic monkeys?

You make it sound like their doing in their thousands, i only know one guy who imported an Xbox, but only did it so he could say "i did it", just like when he imported a saturn/jag/3do and on and on, but thats only one guy, and i know lots of peeps with pc's who could no longer give a toss about console gaming, most who give it up during the "isnt it cool to have a playstation" era.

Do you honestly think the Xbox will still be @ €479 when the Ninty Cube launch rolls around?

Xbox launches in early March - the cubes short while later. Betcha MS wont drop the price that soon, esp as the story is that they are taking a hit per unit on the price as it is.

I think I read somewhere (correctly IMHO) that Microsofts biggest 'short term' goal is to have the XBox ready with available units, price and selection of games is for a huge worldwide push next christmas...

PS2 was out ages and they still had shortages all over the world in different places this christmas

makes sense to me anyway..

Xbox March 14th
    GC May 6th.

I bet [a pack of mini snickers] that MS drop €79 of the Xbox before the GC launch.
    I doubt Microsoft are taking a hit on the box here, infact i bet they are making a huge profit here, remember they have a factory in hungary so the normal charges the Ninty and Sony incurred dont apply to Microsoft.

• Advertisement

Do you honestly think the Xbox will still be @ €479 when the Ninty Cube launch rolls around

Absolutely. There's no way in hell MS will drop the price before May.

Your comment along the lines of hardcore gamers moving over to the PC is absolutely laughable, by the way. There have been more importers picking up GC and Xbox than any other console previously.

I do however feel that even the hardcore are liable to go for a GC at half the price, especially given that the initial software lineup of GC is more likely to appeal to them...

Advertisement