Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i was thinking.....

Options
  • 26-01-2002 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

why doesnt an isp set up a service on a freephone number, then that isp could get a leased line of a few megs to connect to the net? i know it cant be this this simple if it was it would allready be done. does any 1 know what it costs a business per miniute for a free phone number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

A lot ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

why doesnt an isp set up a service on a freephone number, then that isp could get a leased line of a few megs...

Ooh perhaps because they would loose a whopping great load of money
    and go out of buisness so fast that it would seem that it was a silly idea in the first place...
    ... which it is...

You have to remember that ISP's are buisnesses that are there trying to make money
    Granted, in Ireland they make very little (if any)
    due to various monolopies and a complete lack of infrastructure, and generally the cost.

Say, why don't you save up your pocket money and set up a free ISP with a freephone number...

We will all happilly use it :)

<edit> quote not quite, *sigh* </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

that was sorta what no-limits did and we saw what happened to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

i was just wondering about the cost of the freephone number?
    and i dont need it i have powernet :p:p i just wanted to find out some useless info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

How would an ISP make money then ?

I would assume that a freephone number would cost a bit more than a local call as freephone numbers can be accessed from anywhere in the country unless some county only 1800 number was implemented.

There might be some discount depending on how busy the 1800 number was.

• Advertisement

i taught that the 1800 number would have a large discount as they would be receving so many calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

maybe they do, but they still pay per minute, the faact is, a free phone 1800 number wont be as cheap as .3 cent a minute(what the odtr set for accessing eircoms network) so whats the point in gettign a free phone number when you can use one of those 1850 numbers and pay what? half as much per minute.

ok then that is no good. it looks like the only other option is the irish wan it is a very good idea esp in limerick as there are quite a few ppl that are interested that will donate there powernet connections [including me]so it looks like limerick ppl will have the best of broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Well with the IrishWan idea you can use multiple sources for bandwidth. ADSL lines, Powernet, Esat No Limits and leased lines.

For the Cork Wan it will be leased lines and if we're lucky adsl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

shouldnt have any problem getting adsl in certain pars of cork within afew months, as thats were the forth phase will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Sooner than that I believe. :) Looks like my exchange will get it too.

Advertisement