Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could write a book..

Options
  • 26-01-2002 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

So, they say that everyone has one book in them, if you had the chance, what would yours be? Mine:

101 Things I'd Like To Do To Anne Doyle

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

A much spam fits in a can ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

How dare you imply such a thing !! Actually, its genuine interest rather than processed meat that made me post this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

"Everyone has a book inside them and that is a damn good place for it." -Unknown Publisher

I'm currently writing "Writers Block" a riproaring epic adventure through the world of a writer who has a ****ed social life and is hunted an a secret government agentcy which wants to silence the truth. Oh yeah and it's partially semi-autobiographical. It should sell loads. :D

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Well unless my life becomes very interesting or dramatic it won't be an autobiography.

The book would be dark, bloody and would have a few twists. A cross between fightclub/the waspfactory/the diceman/ and the bible. No happy ending either cos they're sappy. It would also make you question your beliefs and way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I could have written a book very similar to Angela's Ashes if Frank McCourt hadn't gotten there first. Now it'd just look like a shallow cash-in, and so won't see the light of day.

I guess any book I ever write is probably going to be semi-autobiographical at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Im not telling ye because ye'll steal my idea and make millions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

It'd be about how moost people in the world feel sorry for themselves all the time and can appreciate their pain as a balance of their pleasure and how alot of people are negative ,blind and cynical and it doesnt help that these people are popular ,and the whole image thing like what the fuk is that all about its so strange

well something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

The book would be dark, bloody and would have a few twists. A cross between fightclub/the waspfactory/the diceman/ and the bible. No happy ending either cos they're sappy. It would also make you question your beliefs and way of life.

This I want to read! Will you sign my copy when I bring it to the book signing?

If I wrote a book it would be a meticulously and well researched medical book (purely for the good of all mankind/womankind) into:

"The Mystery of Female Masturbation"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

Mine would be of how I hunted down Bin Laden, cut his penis of and sent him to live under the Taliban as a women.

Originally posted by Uphamizer
    Mine would be of how I hunted down Bin Laden, cut his penis of and sent him to live under the Taliban as a women.

A deep metaphysical yarn then :) Keep em coming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Kevin Hargaden's Big Book Of Gay.

-I list everything that I think is Gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm going to write some sf, fairly hard-core stuff hopefully.

Just need that spark of inspiration :)

bard: I think all books are semi-autobiog in one form or another, it just depends how much you want to reveal.

Al.

Originally posted by Trojan

Just need that spark of inspiration :)

It'll never come. :(

If you're waiting for some idea to brightly occur to you, and you're not going to write anything until it does, then you'll never write anything. One of the reasons that everybody isn't a published author is because they're waiting for the inspiration.

If you think you have a story somewhere in you, but you aren't sure what it is, the best thing to do is start writing. You don't even have to have a beginning or an end, just start off with a single scene and work from there.

The first thing that will surprise you is how long it takes. If you're lucky and momentum picks up in your writing and starts to carry you along and you really make a go of it, you'll spend two hours a night on it every night after work for the first week, then stare at your twelve whole pages and think...

..."This is going to take me fúcking AGES..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I've started 2, got bored, I'd more than like write some sort of sci-fi/ fiction depends on my mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

anything you might want to do to Anne Doyle cant be pleasant.. at least umm i would hope not..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels

It'll never come. :(

ouch, pessimism :)

Fortunately, I have one or 2 ideas already - I just need to turn them into proper stories - brainstorming in the pub with a co-conspirator will help.

If you're waiting for some idea to brightly occur to you, and you're not going to write anything until it does, then you'll never write anything. One of the reasons that everybody isn't a published author is because they're waiting for the inspiration.

Most people just couldn't be bothered trying, don't have any interest. Others may be in the situ you refer to.

The first thing that will surprise you is how long it takes. If you're lucky and momentum picks up in your writing and starts to carry you along and you really make a go of it, you'll spend two hours a night on it every night after work for the first week, then stare at your twelve whole pages and think...

..."This is going to take me fúcking AGES..." :D

agreed :)

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I started writing a sci-fi thingy about about Atlantis.. its fairly crap but i enjoyed the few chapters i wrote.. wont try and publish it, well doubt it..

Anyway its something i may do again.. for now im only 22 so not in any rush!

Right then everyone who has tried and failed to write a book *raises hand nerviously*. There that wasn't so hard.

Hello my name is Scip (courus of "Hello Scip") and I want to be a writer. First it was the idea of casual hours and Tom Clancy's bank account that lead me to consider writing. But now I still trying and producing crap unpublishable short-story. I'm tring to deal with my addiction one day at a time.

*sits down*

Fade to credits
    Scipio_major

Originally posted by Saruman
    anything you might want to do to Anne Doyle cant be pleasant.. at least umm i would hope not..

Its all part of a trilogy, Part 2 is 101 More Things Id Like To Do To Anne Doyle, and part 3, If Only Anne Doyle's Father Knew About The 101 Things Im Going To Do To His Daughter.

As to whether they are pleasant of not, bare in mind that i am a fully pledged member of the Anne Doyle Mutual Appreciation Society. I have a badge and everything.

In general, i mostly write scripts for films, have loads of them but never had the guts to get anyone to read them..

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Currently Writing a multi-themed novel - it's basically a Sci-Fi, Horror thriller... Been in the pipeline for a while and i posted quite a few old threads about it...

All I'll say is that it's mainly based on the construction of Artificial Human Life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

If I'm going to start work on a book it'll be of photos of alternative music happenings in Dublin with accompanying text

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I didn't bother reading all the replys so i'm gonna assume the topic is still on topic :)

I'd write a book Star Trek (naturally), have some ideas which i think others would find enjoyable.

If not that i have some ideas for a Fantasy / Sci-fi related story.

Azezil, you won't believe the crap they make you go through before they let you write any fanchised novel. And yet for some reason standard of most franchised books seems to fall as the series goes on. *shrug*

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

Originally posted by plastic membrane

...bare in mind that i am a fully pledged member of the Anne Doyle Mutual Appreciation Society.

If it's a mutual appreciation society, that suggests that Anne Doyle has 101 things she wants to do to you...

If it's a mutual appreciation society, that suggests that Anne Doyle has 101 things she wants to do to you...

Its all valid and consentual..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'd finish the one I'm working on now. And it'd be worth reading.

Hey, we can dream right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by Anne Doyle
    Plastic, I am your father!

I know what you all mean about it taking forever to write something. I've been trying to write content for a site and end up spending an evening to come out with about 250 words. Ho-hum.

Advertisement