Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl makes sense?

• 31-10-2000 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

just read this of the bottom of one of ntls pages with regard to their weekend rates.
    does this make sense? can someone please trawl through their website and see if they can come up with a proper reason that i fail to see.
    the quote is this
    'Please note automatic timeouts will apply if the internet connection is not used over any 10 minutes, or if you have been online for any 2 hour period. If this happens you can simply dial up the internet again. ntl reserve the right to review the cut off/disconnect period'

does that really say they will cut you off after 2 hours, but thats ok, coz you can just dial up again? the 10 minutes thing i can understand coz its in you internet settings. but the 2 hour thing?
    if thats the case then tinet have me on the "disconnect every 5 minutes for the first hour, and then every now and then, perticularly if you have the flag and are about to cap in a league game" setting.
    wonder if i can get thtat changed.
    i suppose you have to put up with it if you want to get an amazing 44kbs.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I dont know about ireland but Ive heard quite a few english gamers talk about how their free ISP cuts them off every hour. To keep people from leaving it on all night leeching I suppose.

I am inflatible !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They (BT) do it with ADSL connections over there too - there's been a few articles about it in The Register. They must have a different dictionary than me, with an alternative definition for "always on".

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nope - ADSL is genuinely "always on", same as Cable; however, the ****-poor standard of BT's ADSL offering means that it feels like it's dissing all the time, and occasionaly your IP address gets reassigned by the DHCP server and you can't get another one because there aren't any left in the pool... BT ADSL sucks.

Pretty much all of the free ISPs over here have the 2-hour disconnect system in place - it's essentially designed to make sure people don't sit online 24/7. It's a bit of a pain, but if it wasn't there, you'd have no hope of ever managing to dial up, because all the modem racks would be engaged...

Frankly I'm surprised that Esat haven't done likewise.

Ja,
    Rob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Gah, I hate it when people just say "nope", as if you're completely and utterly wrong or summat.

I especially hate it when they're right! It was Freeserve that started booting users, on their "unlimited" service:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/14159.html

And links off it... Sorry! smile.gif
    Nope - ADSL is genuinely "always on", same as Cable; however, the ****-poor standard of BT's ADSL offering means that it feels like it's dissing all the time, and occasionaly your IP address gets reassigned by the DHCP server and you can't get another one because there aren't any left in the pool... BT ADSL sucks.

Yes, I've heard it's a bit sucky alright. Why do I get the feeling that when we eventually do get DSL over here, it's going to be just as bad?
    Pretty much all of the free ISPs over here have the 2-hour disconnect system in place - it's essentially designed to make sure people don't sit online 24/7. It's a bit of a pain, but if it wasn't there, you'd have no hope of ever managing to dial up, because all the modem racks would be engaged...

I'm curious about this - what if you're in the middle of downloading something enormous on a server that doesn't support resume? Tough tata's? Or can you fool it with pings?
    Frankly I'm surprised that Esat haven't done likewise.

It is a bit odd alright. The funny thing is that even if you leave dialling in until eight o'clock or so, you can still get in if you persist. That's weird - who in their right mind disconnects once you're in...? smile.gif

adam

Advertisement