Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Design

• 26-01-2002 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Are you allowed to advertise yourself in here - not sure - if so:

I'd like to offer Web Design services - starting out - have'nt done may websites yet - Alcobuds.com is an example of my work!!

Any half decent offer/trade accepted - would appreciate if site built to be allowed to use as part of a portfolio.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

holy **** did you ever pick the wrong business to get into...

in case nobody has told you... web design is dead. if not completely dead its dying a long slow painful death... get out now and pick something else while ure still sane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Web design is dead? Says who? Is graphic design dead? No.

Bud, you seem to have a good understanding of basic design but you really should work on it a lot more. A hell of a lot more. Navigation's not bad so that's good, visually though, it needs a lot of work. Keep banging away at it and see where it takes you. Look around other websites you like and try to fogure out what looks good and develop your own style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yes perhaps I should have elaborated a wee bit.... what I meant is that commercially its not a nice area to be in. Being that most irish business people dont want anything to do with the internet.

I like that new BT advert tho.. at least I think its a BT advert...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Thx, haha, not quite at the business stage yet, but I disagree we design is not dead. The Internet has finally been accepted in Ireland and most companies, from small to large recognise that having a web presence is a huge asset to them.

Even if it's just to supply contact details, or even documents customer need to be downloadable etc.

The point here is I want to build on my knowledge and design some sites, be it for cash or some product/service a person.customer could offer in return.

I know HTML code, I don;t just use WYSIWYG editors - I would find these a pain to manipulate if I had'nt learned HTML first, I'm also expanding my knowledge of Flash which is a very important web tool these days, anyway, if anyone is interested let me know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

hehe web design is not dead and its not only used to make websites for companies in ireland that want to jump on the bandwagon themselves and sell whatever they can.

if you know your html well, i would suggest to learn something else like flash, xml, php or any other new things out there. once you know that, the only other thing you need to be able to do, is design.

it would help if you know the basics - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0262540290/o/qid=1012141009/sr=8-1/ref=sr_aps_b_1_1/202-2587352-3727047

adnans

• Advertisement

HTML I know, Flash I'm learning - I finf I learn this when I'm challenged - can you do this?? Then I find out how and there ya go!!!

XML and XHTML are on my list, PHP is a lil way off.

Design I'm working on but I have creative contacts that can lend a helping hand when needed!!!

Alcobuds.com is a result of what the website owner wanted - therefore as only 1 reference to my work it shows no range/diversity, hence, I'm very reasonable to anyone who wants help with a site design, redesign or update!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I am also offering my services in the web design area... have worked in the net/web area for the past 6 years and know my stuff... examples of work at http://niall.okeeffe.com/work.html ... portfolio available online (url on request) - email for info... many web sites and 1 industry award under my belt...

setting up a business of my own...

scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Web design is not dead, but has become a much more competitive market over recent years. The days of getting away with *murdering* a web site and passing it on to a client as "done", are coming to an end. Businesses are becoming aware of Internet standards, and hence are looking for "my website to look like that one". The flooding of web designers in the market has dropped prices and raised standards, as they catfight their way to the contract. Businesses who paid a student 100/200 for a quick site (bandwagon style) in the past are now paying in the long term, as they have to contract professional design firms for a "make-over". I, for one, think this is a good thing in the industry, as bad *IRISH* sites, in particular, are slowly going out of fashion...

The Irish Internet market can only go up from here. Granted, companies are now much more aware of spending their money, but the important thing is that they are spending.

to be continued...

"has become a much more competitive market" - this is very evident as I already have competition in this thread!!

Advertisement