Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T-bird 850@1Gz....will it go to 1.1Gz??

• 27-10-2000 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Lo all

My new athlon t-bird socket-a is runing like a dream.
    got it to 1Gz@1.80v and runing a temp of 41c under a %100 load
    (i forgot to take off the termil crap on the heatsink frown.gif )

any who back to my point...all this is done by multiplyer ie. 100x10, with the ram i have it will not like being set much higher...do any of you's think i can get it to 110x10?

ps....if your thinking of getting a GlobalWin FOP38 heatsink for you athlon, keep in mind that my room now sounds like a airport smile.gif but it runs the temp right down

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I hope it melts on ya, Sorry, but I dont like muppets that over clock :P

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Take it easy there Lump, over clocking is a rewarding challenge, and gives a nice performance boost in to the bargain.

If the chip doesn't give you 3rd degree burns when you touch it ; it's not working hard enough.

boss_peace.gifwazzzaaaap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I tried to overclock my hamster once, but the fan blew him off his wheel frown.gif

HE HE, aboy the Sico, Overclocking a few Mhz isnt that bad but trying to do something that you know will probally damage the chip, isnt to clever.

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

HE HE, aboy the Sico, Overclocking a few Mhz isnt that bad but trying to do something that you know will probally damage the chip, isnt to clever.

Why? 'S his chip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Lump!! i dont take well to being called a muppet..... i didn't put the post up to make you feel better about your self, i put it up to get a post about overclocking going as there hasn't been a good one in ages, if you dont like overclockers then dont say anything to us. I'v had my past 3 computers overclocked a P75@90 a k6-2/350@400 a athlon "clasic" 550@750 and now this one Athlon "T-bird" 850@1000, I'v never fupped up any of my chips and i hope i never will.
    and i think you'll find that a lot of the ppl on the boards do overclock there computers....so that must mean that we'er all muppets

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Lump, to put it simply, you obviously dont know anything about overclocking, you believe the hype and the scare stories. Overclocking is a way of saving money for a start. Besides, sutty's chip is guaranteed at 1 ghz by the place where he bought it, overclockers.co.uk. "I don't like muppets that overclock" Yeah, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

hehe, I rest my case smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I think you'll find a lot of people will disagree with you quite vocally on that, Lump.

I've been running an Athlon 650 @ 850mhz for the past 4 months with no problems.

Well, then if it Guarnteed to clock at 1 Ghz, why dont they sell like that. I can understand people that over clock by so much, but I have a friend in Kilkenny that over clocks his graphic's card, ram, processor, and basically anything he can. Now this "muppet" hasnt put any extra cooling into the box. Therefore I was really referring to muppets like him. And not the general mass of people. Ok??

John

• Advertisement

"Well, then if it Guarnteed to clock at 1 Ghz, why dont they sell like that. "

because AMD will not refund it if anything goes wrong with the chip or if the chip is not made right, but if you overclock it in your own home and dont mod the chip. ie. solder to it. they dont mind.

"but I have a friend in Kilkenny that over clocks his graphic's card, ram, processor, and basically anything he can."

I do that as well!!!

"Now this "muppet" hasnt put any extra cooling into the box. "

are you sure of that? if hes overclocked every thing he can in the case it will over heat in a few sec, also if you overclock your cpu by anything worth doing. ie. 50MHz you'll need extra cooling.

its like if you run a 1Gz T-Bird with-out a heatsink and fan it will burn up in 8 sec (that is a fact)

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

how high could I safely overclock my amd k7 800?

"extra cooling" is what I said, he has the fans etc that came with it, when it was sold at 750Mhz, I think he only over clocked it to 950 andy way, if you met this guy, you'd see how much of a mupet he is.

John

Jelvon what make of athlon is it? "clasic" or T-BIRD? what ram and motherboard do you have?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

If you know him I'm not a bit suprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

classic smile.gif , 128mb of pc133 ram + ka7 abit mobo

well its hard to say with classics, you'll need a GFD to overclock it, i can sell you my old one for £30, the thing you have to remember it that the l2 cache does not run at the same speed as the cpu, so you may need to change the speed of the cache as well, you'll have to solder to the pcb to do this(very messy) you would be better off getting a t-bird socket-a and a cpu with all the l1 bridges closed so you can change the mutli, a kt7 is very good for this as you can set the fsb as well then. your ram needs to be prity good as well, cas2 ram is the best type. or if you wanted to go all out you could get the new DDR chip set that came out last week (i think). as for how fast you can get it....900mhz np, but you may have to look at some sites to get a feel for how fast you can get it your self.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think you can modify the cache divisor in the bios on the ka7, if you have the latest bios. Not really worth going out and buying a whole new setup, you should be able to over clock that athlon with a gfd, and a decent heatsink and fan.

Advertisement