Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home networking

Options
  • 27-01-2002 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going buying a new PC with a 3Com 3C905CX Network card.
    A few questions:

1) What the f*** is WOL and what difference will it make if it's in or not?

2) Hubs, are they needed for two PCs?

3) Network OS should i get one i.e. Novell Netware?

4)Is there any difference in using coaxial and RJ45

That's all I can think of..........for the moment!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by dempseyt
    I'm going buying a new PC with a 3Com 3C905CX Network card.
    A few questions:

1) What the f*** is WOL and what difference will it make if it's in or not?

Wakeup On LAN. It means that if a special packet is sent to your computer it can turn it on. I still have to find free software for actually sending the packet mind you.. anyone else know where to get some ?

2) Hubs, are they needed for two PCs?

No. You will need a crossover cable. This is a special cable where the transmit and recieve wires are swapped over. ( for CAT5 cables )
    3) Network OS should i get one i.e. Novell Netware?

Ah.. no. Windows has plenty of home network support. It will allow you to share files/filders/printers over the network without additional software.

Co-Axial is an older cable. It runs at a maximun of 10Mbit. RJ45/CAT5 runs can run at up to 100Mbit, which is what your 3com network card runs at.

Using CAT5 cable, you need a hub when you have more than 2 pc's.

Using Co-Ax cable, you connect the cable to a T piece connected to the network card and run the same cable onto each pc connecting them as you go. The first and last pc have a small terminator ( a 50 ohm resistor ) to dampen the signal.

Irrespective of that however, your card does not have support for co-ax. ( i didn't actually check, i am assuming ).
    That's all I can think of..........for the moment!!!

Come back for more ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ya, the network card only has RJ45 connection.
    RJ45 and CAT5 are the same thing...?
    I can get a crossover cable at most computer shops e.g. compustore?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Ya, the network card only has RJ45 connection.
    ?

this is good
    RJ45 and CAT5 are the same thing...?

not exactly.
    the rj45 bit is the connector. it looks like a telephone connector, except it has 8 shiney metal connectors instead of the phone a phone has. which is how we get 4 twisted pairs. cat 5 is just a catagory or standard of cable and uses 4 twisted pair of unshielded wires (er, i think) im probably completely wrong, someone will correct me, they always do :)
    anyway, one is the connector, the other is the wire

I can get a crossover cable at most computer shops e.g. compustore?

should do. of course, should doesnt always means do :)

CAT5 is a name for a crossover cable ?

If I walked into compustore and said to the dim b@$tard behind the counter "Could I have a CAT5 cable with RJ45 connectors on each end", he won't try and tell me he never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

CAT5 is a name for a crossover cable ?
    Not exactaly, a cross over cable is made using CAT5 cable alrite, the difference between a normal networking lead (using CAT5) and a crossover cable is that on a normal networking lead the wires must be in the same order at both ends.. i.e. if one is in the order of green, orange, blue brown, so too must the other end, but with a crossover cable the wires are reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

With coax you can string several PCs together without the use of a hub. With CAT5 (which uses RJ45 connectors) you either connect two PCs together using a CAT5 crossover cable or several PCs to a hub using 'straight' CAT5 cable.

A good supplier should be able to make up both types of cable to any desired length.

I've found coax problematical in the past in office situations. Users can bring down the network by fiddling around at the back of the computer. Many cards now don't have the BNC connetions projecting from them either.

If you are talking about just two computers, just get the two network cards and a length of crossover CAT5 cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Go into Peats or (shudders) Maplins and have them make up a CAT5 (or CAT5e if you've a tiny bit extra cash) cross-over cable.

There are generally 4 pins in 100MBit and 10MBit cards (though there are 100MBit cards that use all 8 wires but they can run over CAT3 cable so a company doesn't have to upgrade all that expensive wiring (the labour's expensive, not teh cable)).
    one pair is the recieveing pair (positive and negative) and one is the transmitting pair (again positive and negative wires).
    A hub will do all the 'crossing over' inside for 'straight' cables.
    A Cross over cable merely makes sure the packet being transmitted from card A goes into the receiving pins of card B. As you would expect.

Generally its PinA1 -> PinB3/PinB1 -> PinA3 and PinA2 -> PinB6/PinB3 -> PinA6, where A and B represent the cards and 1,2,3 and 6 are the pin numbers.
    If you hold the card up to teh light and look at the socket it should be clear which ones are which.
    If you can find a cheap (~€15-20) crimpers somewhere (for RJ45 and RJ11 phone cable if possible) they would be a decent investment as you can use this new found knowledge to help others :)
    Shops will charge a bit to do this work, even though it takes all of 5 mins for someone familiar with it.
    Don't even bother asking compustore. The poor dears' heads may explode. "Cable?" "What version do you have?" "Have you rang tech support?" "I'm afraid that's too technical for your little head young lad".

aside..........
    I'd be interested in getting some sort of voice comms working voer the LAN. Any chance of something simple, free and effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

In my ignorance, I went into Compustore and asked them if they sold Crossover cables. It was then that I realised that if you knew anything about computers, you wouldn't be working in a shop that sells computers, like MacDonalds sells happy meals..

After being pointed to all sorts of serial / parallel / power cables, I made my own...

Here's some handy references:
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm
    http://www.helmig.com/j_helmig/thisted.htm

I don't to make it myself because....... I couldn't be arsed to do it.
    The network card is a 3Com 3C905CX order direct from Dell.
    I haven't got it yet but if you go to http://www.enetshoponline.com/3com3c10netc1.html it has all the info on it.
    So the safe bet is CAT5 cable i.e. it communicates both ways between two PC's and can go at 100MBPS? Yes Yes.

I think Syxpack said it best: "Don't even bother asking compustore. The poor dears' heads may explode. "Cable?" "What version do you have?" "Have you rang tech support?" "I'm afraid that's too technical for your little head young lad."

Why?............Because that IS what they ask you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I was ordering a number of items from IT Boutique and I asked them to send me a crossover cable as well. The guy said he didn't have any in stock but that he would make me one, nice guy! Unfortunately when I got the cable and tried to use it, it didn't work, on closer inspection I saw that he didn't "crossover" the wires on each end. He got very upset on the phone when I told him he obviously didn't know what a crossover cable was and that he tried to sell me a normal CAT5 cable.

Moral of the Story: Make sure the thing works before you pay for it.

P.S. Months later and I still don't have a crossover cable. Not many shops stock them, your best bet is to get a friend who knows what there doing to make you one. :)

viking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

helmig.com has instructions for making a crossover -

its very easy really - i managed to make one with a scissors and sellotape when i was only 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I make crossover cables, any length you want. I'm also cheaper than any shop.

Originally posted by Jaden
    I make crossover cables, any length you want. I'm also cheaper than any shop.

How are you suppose to sell me this cable. You could be anywhere:D
    HOw much is a shop to make one and how much are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

why bother with a crossover cable... i mean unless you make it yourself you have to rely on some lamer trying to do it and its not great quality then is it.. you should be ok with peats or maplin but come on... get a hub.. more reliable and less hassle.. also means you can add on another pc or laptop if you need one... if you only have a single crossover cable you cant! They are not even expensive.. come on you can get them for about £30 or so (have not checked if they went up with Euro..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Saruman
    ...come on you can get them for about £30 or so (have not checked if they went up with Euro..)

Where did u see them for £30 or so???

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

why bother with a crossover cable... i mean unless you make it yourself you have to rely on some lamer trying to do it and its not great quality then is it..

Damned newbies. The only thing sadder than ignorance, is the public display of ignorance. :)

I'm in Galway, moonlighting in Dublin from time to time.

3 Meter crossover cable. Say, a fiver, delivered.

Satisfaction guaranteed.

fair enough if money is a problem and so on but personally i prefer my hub.. i only have 2 systems connected but at least i have the option for more if i get a laptop etc.. its down to a persons preference. I prefer a hub, simple as that! No ignorance just my preference. I will ALWAYS recommend a hub and 2 cables over a single crossover cable and thats that!

btw
    Genius 8 Port 10 Base T Mini Hub
    Genius :: Networking :: Hubs
    Rate This Product! | Price History
    ex vat: IR£ 29.16 € 37.02
    inc vat IR£ 34.99 € 44.43

this is from IT direct www.itdirect.ie
    i would be surprised if you can get them cheaper but you can probably get different make of hub cheaper. try maplin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Ay , hubs tend to save you a lot of hassle - especially if you dont know what your at - hubs connect all the machines, give each a name and use netbui (wont help for games) but will have a file transfaring network in minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Genius 8 Port 10 Base T Mini Hub
    Genius :: Networking :: Hubs
    Rate This Product! | Price History
    ex vat: IR£ 29.16 € 37.02
    inc vat IR£ 34.99 € 44.43

Damned Newbies is right.... if you buy one of those hubs the max bandwidth you'll get is 10Mbps even if you have 10/100 NICs, whereas if you used the €5 Jadan solution you'd get 100Mbps.

The Cigarette Smoking Man is correct of course.. do i care? of course not.. Does dempseyt need a 100mbs network? nope he does not need a hub either but thats not the point.. i would prefer one and i know plenty of network engineers who will agree..
    Oh question.. when was the last time you clocked 100mbs over a network? never.. how about 50mbs.. no.. 20.. 10... If you can transfer a 50mb file from 1 pc to another in 1 second ill be very impressed.. even a 20mb file in 1 second would be an acievement...

im not impressed by numbers.. its like saying the AthlonXP 2000+ (1.67ghz)is much slower than its 2ghz+ Intel Northwood rival.. a benchmark will clock the Intel as faster.. wow its faster... but the athlon can handle a lot more prcoesses at once so for business use its not as efficiant as the Athlon.. feel free to disagree..

• Advertisement

True. I eman what you really want is fibre optic 10Gig ethernet :)

Jaden is perfectly right. For two PCs a cross over is the way to go. Less lag (and there is a bit of lag created in a hub) then a hub. And you can use Full-Duplex, effectively letting you transfer 100Mbits one way and a full 100MBits the other at the same time, therefore doubling your throughput.

N00bs (like i can talk :p).

I'm still using 10Base2 at home (no cash, can't leave the cable setup for long periods - runnign across main hall in the house) and its fine. If I need to back up stuff on the old PC I remove the hard drive and plug it into the new one. Only for large file trnasfers too mind.
    [EDIT]Just read Saruman's post.
    I can see you have good intentions, and some strong opinions, but please don't state the bloody obvious.
    Of course a 'NETWORK ENGINEER' will say a hub is better. They're never going to have to deal with just hooking up 2 PCs. That's whay they're called NETWORK ENGINEERS. Any tom, dick or jane off the street could rig a basic netowrk in 30 mins if shown how. Trained Gibbons (not orangutangs mind) could do it in 45 mins :p
    Also, the Xp kicks the arse off a P4 at the same speed, and benchmarking is a subjective, rather then objective, process as a benchmark is trying to compare two disimilar CPUs as like-for-like.
    For 2 PCs a Crossover made from CAT5 is the business. Cheap, and if you have 100MBit NICs, takes full advantage of the card.
    A 100Mbit hub (not even switched) would set the average Joe Soapwater back about €60-70, compared with €10 max for a cross over cable. Buy a switched hub later on if needed.
    I know a good few people involved with networking who would post on this to back me up if they weren't so busy drinking.
    [/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The Cigarette Smoking Man is correct of course.. do i care? of course not.. Does dempseyt need a 100mbs network? nope he does not need a hub either but thats not the point.. i would prefer one and i know plenty of network engineers who will agree..

Really ? I don't know any that would prefer the cost of two straight cables and a 100mb hub to the cost of one crossover cable.
    Oh question.. when was the last time you clocked 100mbs over a network? never.. how about 50mbs.. no.. 20.. 10... If you can transfer a 50mb file from 1 pc to another in 1 second ill be very impressed.. even a 20mb file in 1 second would be an acievement...
    Aye indeed. Well seeing as it only transfers at 12.5mb/s optimal it would be impressive to get 20mb/s. Slightly better than 1.2mb/s optimal though really. Good network engineering there.
    im not impressed by numbers.. its like saying the AthlonXP 2000+ (1.67ghz)is much slower than its 2ghz+ Intel Northwood rival.. a benchmark will clock the Intel as faster.. wow its faster... but the athlon can handle a lot more prcoesses at once so for business use its not as efficiant as the Athlon.. feel free to disagree..

I don't think i'll bother

Gav

even if you want to hook up more than 2 pc's it can be cheeper to avoid getting a hub

i just bought 5 or 6 second hand 10BaseT100 cards and put most of them into one computer. now i have a 5 computer 10BaseT100 network and it cost me less than £30 - and it is faster than a hub

personally i just find 10Mb/s way tooo slow. 100 isnt 10 times faster but it is 3 or 4 times

;-) i like to do things my way

back to the question of where to get a crossover: they have them in maplin and compustore but they charge you throught the roof. i make my own nowadays. but if you only want one it is worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by sisob
    i just bought 5 or 6 second hand 10BaseT100 cards and put most of them into one computer. now i have a 5 computer 10BaseT100 network and it cost me less than £30 - and it is faster than a hub
    Did you use any special software for this?

Actually would that give you similar performance to a dedicated switch?
    I forget the specs on 2.1 PCi, but there's a fair whack of bandwidth to go round (as long as the rough figure I have in my head is in MBytes/sec and not MBits).
    I have 2 or three boxes at home that could do the trick for a LAN.....and good few spare NICs.
    That's fairly class, i it works well with low latency :)

What sort of cpu is in the router-box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Of course The (Cisco Certified) Cigarette Smoking Man is right :)

BTW no "Network Engineer" would ever recommend a hub, they'd use a switch.

Anyway, when was the last time you ever heard of a Network Engineer coming in to connect two PCs in some bloke bedroom :rolleyes:

Well Cigarette Smoking Man you are correct. Dont mean to imply anything else. Im only speaking for myself, i have 2 systems with a hub but one is downstairs and the other in my room. I have a 25meter cable going up to my room and to be honest i only need that one cable to reach my system but to be on the safe side i bought 2 and a hub in case it did not reach after putting it under the carpet etc.. Anyway i decided to use the hub and have never looked back since. I plan on addin another system onto the network so for me the hub is fairly essential for that eventuality.

I think i have hubs on the brain, i have a box of the things beside me and im tripping over servers here.

Oi SkepticOne im intrigued.. sounds like you built yourself a nice little machine there.

Originally posted by SyxPak

For two PCs a cross over is the way to go. Less lag (and there is a bit of lag created in a hub) then a hub. And you can use Full-Duplex, effectively letting you transfer 100Mbits one way and a full 100MBits the other at the same time

So I'm settling for the crossover cable without the hub.

For 2 PCs a crossover made from CAT5 is the business. Cheap, and if you have 100MBit NICs, takes full advantage of the card.

Crossover made from CAT5, is that some special requirement you asked for or it's what all crossover is made from?

Actually would that give you similar performance to a dedicated switch?
    I forget the specs on 2.1 PCi, but there's a fair whack of bandwidth to go round (as long as the rough figure I have in my head is in MBytes/sec and not MBits).
    I have 2 or three boxes at home that could do the trick for a LAN.....and good few spare NICs.
    That's fairly class, i it works well with low latency :)

What sort of cpu is in the router-box?

well i'm very proud of my little router but i didnt want to go into to much detail unless anyone showed an interest.

It's a salvaged desktop oem pc. It's 266 Mhz pentium 2 with 64mb ram and a 10gb hard disk. it has on board 10/100 ethernet and sound. It has 2 pci 3com 10/100 ethernet cards and and isa modem. if i had more pci slots i would have put in more cards - there's no limit to the number of card's the software can handle.

as for the software . it's running mandrake linux 8.1. I have 8 gb's of mp3's on it which play automatically to my subwoofer whenever i turn it on. it share's its modem conection to any pc conneted to it (with DHCP). i use vnc to access it's desktop remotely. it runs samba to share files with my linux box and with anyone who bring a windows box to my house. all in all quite a lot more functional that a hub or a router.

If you want details on how i set up linux to do all this i suggest you ask me on the unix board as this is a bit OT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement