Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under-rated actors?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm just after watching What Dreams May Come, and I am remind again of what a downright brilliant actor Max Von Sydow is. (Boo to those who thought I was going to say Robbin Williams.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

He's better than Olivier and kicks but too...
    Bruce Lee is good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lister

Vinney Jones. Brilliant at portraying raw emotion, especially anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Denzel Washington.

Hadn't seen him in a movie myself since ehh... the Pelican Brief.. - just saw "Training Day" today and was WELL impressed.

--

Oh- and add Edward Norton to the list if he's not on it already ... for Fight Club alone, if nothing else.

--

Steven Seagal sucks the sweat from a baboon's balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

definetly ed norton.....also for his role in american history X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Vinny jones???? showing emotion..HA. the only emotion that man is capable of showing is anger. Can you imagine him crying or falling in love in a movie. I think not.

Benicio Del Toro is class. The Usual Suspects making off documentary was great as it showed everyone else cracking up at his crazy accent. Good in Traffic also.

My nomination is for Brendan Gleeson in any movie he is in apart from the one with the Croc-he was allright, script wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Sean Bean, for the Sharpe TV Movies

I'd agree with the Ed Norton suggestion, prior to fight club I thought he was class in Primal Fear

Yes, Sean Bean is indeed a fantastic actor.

But I think getting a part in the Lord Of The Rings is pretty good recognition in my eyes.
    He was also one of the best Bond villans of the lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I find it hilarious that people are listing some of the biggest names in Hollywood as under-rated actors.

Steve Buscemi, Johnny Depp, John Cusack? Underrated? Please - these guys get more script offers than they know what to do with.

By and large, almost everyone listed so far is not an "underrated" actor, but rather are actors who pick and choose more than a paycheck, or who are recent arrivals on the scene and are rising stars.

Look at delToro - the man isnt underrated - he's considered to be one of the hottest rising stars in Hollywood. He's fending scripts off left right and centre.

Actors whom i think are far better than the parts they typically end up with, or who deserve far more parts :

1) Forrest Whittaker
    2) Joan Cusack (lives in her brothers shadow too much)
    3) Almost the entire cast of Mystery Men - a movie of "B-superheros" made from the best list of "B actors" ever assembled IMHO. This includes W H Macy, Hank Azaria, Greg Kinnear, Paul Reubens, Tom Waits and Eddie Izzard. Only Ben Stiller was a big name, and I thought he was soooo outclassed.
    4) Scott Cohen. Good call whoever thought of him.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

BTW UK Gold were showing Sharpe's Regiment tonight, think they're going to have on every Wed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭][Spoof Jesus][

To an extent i think Brendan Gleason is an under rated actor...he seems to get "no brainer" roles as non speaking people...or at best rich business men...
    Has anybody seen The 13Th Warrior with Antonio Banderas...theres a totally excellent film that recieved little or no recognition of its existence...maybe these actors are getting scripts...but i think they may be getting Under rated films instead of just getting small parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

gottta agree with bonkey, most of the actors named so far have been actors with fairly large profiles.

OK, here comes the flame bait. One actor that is underrated simply cos hes a pretty boy is Brad Pitt. The man is ****ing brilliant when he doesnt fall back on the act-by-numbers-with-the-pretty-eyes routine.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    OK, here comes the flame bait. One actor that is underrated simply cos hes a pretty boy is Brad Pitt. The man is ****ing brilliant when he doesnt fall back on the act-by-numbers-with-the-pretty-eyes routine.

Have to agree there.
    12 Monkeys was a sight to see. He was brilliant.

And John Goodman is quite seriously under-rated.

Originally posted by bonkey
    By and large, almost everyone listed so far is not an "underrated" actor, but rather are actors who pick and choose more than a paycheck, or who are recent arrivals on the scene and are rising stars.

I'd hardly call Brad Dourif a man who can pick and choose his scripts. Neither is Andrew Robinson.

And Steve Buscemi, despite the number of roles he gets, usualy only gets bit-parts, and comic releif shots. The only decent role he's recently got was in Ghost World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by ayatollah
    brad dourif was in apt pupil and sleepers!!!

no, that's Brad Renfro.

Advertisement