Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Overheating

• 27-01-2002 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

i am using a DELL Latitude CPi and when it is used for even 30 mins or an hour, the underneath seems to get very very hot? just wondering is this normal in the model, or is there something wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by Lucifer.POD
    i am using a DELL Latitude CPi and when it is used for even 30 mins or an hour, the underneath seems to get very very hot? just wondering is this normal in the model, or is there something wrong?

Thanks

i have a latitude cs and it does the same - after a while the fan turns on but it doesnt seem soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The heat is spread throughout the bottom of the laptop with heat spreaders. It is very difficult to move large amounts of air through a laptop, besides the fact that small fans have a terrible noise/work ratio, there is the fact that theres very little space for air to circulate through. Hence the heat has to go somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

dont know about Dells, i know Gateways and about all, laptops have the same prob.. 2 things.. one if your laptop as feet on the bottom.. you know like a keyboard use them on a table top.. it will help as usually the fan is on the bottom so if its closed up.. well its fairly obvious..

also in bios usually under power or power managment there is usually an option for power mode like silent or performence.. change these around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

IU suspect its ok until you can hold it anymore. If you are worried, give it rest periods (turn off at lunchtime) or give it better ventilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Get an ice block and place your system on it :)

I use a type of cd grill for mine as it has no feet, you need somthing to lift it with to allow for some circulation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BrainDead

I have an Inspiron and the fan used to rarely come on, then when it eventually did, it stayed on until I powered off the machine. Flashing the latest BIOS from Dell's website improved matters greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i was just wondering if it was a fault, the fan seems to always be on. anyway just wondering, i wasnt sure if it was common. i'll leave it be.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

you might be blocking the vents? What do you have it on?

You should of tried the G3 powerbook =) It even stated in the manual "Do not place on lap or you may recieve servere burns".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Fan needs to be always on.

It happened with a certain model of laptop once (not so long ago) where it was not always on , it use to melt the keyboard.

The day it stops be worried.

Advertisement