Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 Euro note survives

• 27-01-2002 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Early indications are good, 5 euro note survives washing machine test. not a mark on it. (if a little crinkley)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BlackMagic

i so pleased i know that :)

just incase it happens to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had an article on this very topic on the front of last weeks european Wall Street Journal. (Think Tuesday/Wednesday? Can't post link to article, page only available to subscribers.)

They compared the euro, Yen, Dollar, Pound, Lira and some of the EU old currencies in what they described as a highly unscientific test involving a gauntlet of such trials as cheap bordeaux, the washing machine, crumpling and uncrumpling in a sweaty hand, dry cleaning etc. etc.

The euro fared the worst of all notes, with, oddly enough, the holographic silver strip that is supposed to be an anti-forgery device nearly disappearing on some euro notes!

There you go, mine of useless information on a Sunday or what...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The €20 note survives the wash too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A full Irish driving license also survives the wash test. It *is* a bit crinkly and fake looking now, though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Mines survived a good few too,
    it looks really fake, and is falling appartin 3 ways, were the bends are..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Robbo
    A full Irish driving license also survives the wash test. It *is* a bit crinkly and fake looking now, though.

Passports don't fare so well unfortunately. It's multiple unlaminated pages stick together, and the lamination becomes very unstuck, and untimately the passport becomes usable. Never had a bouncer refuse one though, despite the fact that we had most of the lamination peeled off around the edges :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    with, oddly enough, the holographic silver strip that is supposed to be an anti-forgery device nearly disappearing on some euro notes!

What do you expect to happen? The metal / plastic (whatever it is made of) has different characteristics to the paper and would come off the paper (actually cotton I understand) when in the washing machine, much like dried on food on your jeans.

At least they have the anti-forgery device in the first place.

And maybe the Wall Street Journal (much like the financial industy that are it's main customers) isn't overly enthused with the Euro reducing the mmount of information they can sell to (extort money from?) the punters.

Originally posted by Victor

What do you expect to happen? The metal / plastic (whatever it is made of) has different characteristics to the paper and would come off the paper (actually cotton I understand) when in the washing machine, much like dried on food on your jeans.

At least they have the anti-forgery device in the first place.

And maybe the Wall Street Journal (much like the financial industy that are it's main customers) isn't overly enthused with the Euro reducing the mmount of information they can sell to (extort money from?) the punters.

Eh... hello?
    Have I unearthed some sort of deeply hidden bad childhood memory?
    Are you having your period?
    Are you the person who designed the euro note?
    Have you had some sort of bad personal experience with the Wall Street Journal?

Would you like to extract yourself from the section of my throat you just jumped down?

:D

Eh... hello?
    Hi
    Have I unearthed some sort of deeply hidden bad childhood memory?
    Probably. The one where I was kidnapped.
    Are you having your period?
    No. Not due until next week.
    Are you the person who designed the euro note?
    No. And?
    Have you had some sort of bad personal experience with the Wall Street Journal?
    No. Just sick of the Euro-bashing for the sake of a few fat-cats in the financial services industry.
    Would you like to extract yourself from the section of my throat you just jumped down?
    Damn, I was just starting to enjoy the taste of the chocolate you had earlier. ;)

Soz, I'm just a spammy git. :)

haha
    mega quote

• Advertisement

Is it true or false the claim that the euro notes are made of cotton paper?

just wondering

:confused:

Originally posted by Victor

Damn, I was just starting to enjoy the taste of the chocolate you had earlier. ;)

Okay, that's taking the 'cadbury's cream egg how do you eat yours' thing too far...
    Soz, I'm just a spammy git. :)

A spammy git who obviously loves his new currency.

Time for a name change - I hereby christen you:

Victorus, Champion of Lesser Currencies printed on Cotton Paper (allegedly)!!!

Time for a name change - I hereby christen you:
    Victorus, Champion of Lesser Currencies printed on Cotton Paper (allegedly)!!!
    Well, I quite fancy the title "Chicken Liberation Front" myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

yes there are cotton fibres in the paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

WOW.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Anyone want to Guinea Pig a €50??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

its made of 100% pure cotton paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Glitz

back to the drivers liscences......VERY BAD EXPERENCE!!! need i say n e more!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

care to share?

• Advertisement

yes, mine was taken off me for it being blatenly fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Glitz

the drivers licence was and still is in a VERY BAD state, the plastic is just about off n theres no writing and the picture looks warped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I kept losing my provisional license when I had it, so as soon as I got the full one I put it into the car and I'll probably not take it out again, unless I sell the car I suppose :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Originally posted by OJ
    yes, mine was taken off me for it being blatenly fake.
    LMAO

that makes two of us!

/me points at Lucifer.POD

That's 3 of us now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

:D:D:D also bomberman, thewolf and partyman28!!!

haha,

Advertisement