Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your favorite

Options
  • 27-01-2002 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

whats your favorite star trek series ............

mine has to be generation

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tng has the whole "i grew up watching this ****e" feel to it, so while I don't neccesarily think it is good television, i'll gladly watch it before most of the rest of what's on tv.

however i think Ds9 (after they got the defiant) would have to be my fav., they have the whole bab5 story arc goin' on, tis' interesting, rather than just a new villian every ep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

ST:TNG Generation really starts to kick ass the further you go into it, as does DS:9.

DS:9 was whoefull until Cisco(spelling?) shaved his head and they got the defiant - everything after that, esp the war with the dominion is top notch stuff.

Voyager had a really excellent seasion - the 3rd year I think where they pick up 7of9, loads of borg, species 8479 (that right)? but everything else, bar a few good episodes here and there was terrible. Shame really

It's also the seasion where Kes leaves i think, whooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Voyager definitly!

TNG was ok, but... i dont know, just was overshadowed by voyager

DS9 was good up untuil they really got stuck for some plots and went all crazy with the alternative people, turned a bit ****e.

Original series? Makes me groan atm, was just.... bad!

<< Fio >>

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

TNG was by far the best series imo. It didn't need to introduce fancy battle scenes (DS9) or blond bombshells (VOY) to bring up ratings. Its storylines, scripts and acting were all much, much better than the series which followed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

voyager and DS9 had their moments, but were generally pretty poor - although they both got better towards the end.

TNG has to be the best. the characters, the stories, stuff you hadn’t seen before...

cant forget TOS though. watched a few epps on E4 recently, was like a breath of fresh air... highly watchable (plus Kirk, Spock and McCoy are great together).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Have to say Enterprise is fairly good so far,

Might be because of quantum leap, might be because of Blalock

I just don't know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Hard one to call! Certainly not the Original one, TnG was cool, DS9 started slow but got real good, didn't like the whole prophet thing goin on there, Voyager was pritty slow but had the borg and 7of9 :)

So I don't know... pushed to it, I'll say TnG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

TNG was better. They weren't constantly peering at the fuel gauge, or their inventory, or their weird coffee ;) as with Voyager (so they'd fire as many photon torpedoes as they damn well pleased :D), and the story didn't have to come to them, as with DS9.

Having said that, the other two did have their moments, and I'm waiting for the first series of Enterprise to finish (I'm up to the half-way point now - episode 13) but it's looking pretty good to me.

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

TNG,
    DS9 was watchable, but not great.
    Voyager was just pathetic, maybe 1/10th of the episodes were decent.

Of course babylon 5 owns them all :/

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

It is most definately The Next generation - Patrick Steward had the privelage to play the best damn captain in the whole Collection of Star Trek's, and that was hightened by the fact that he's a brilliant actor, as were some of his companions...

The characters weren't two dimensional like some of the characters in the other series, and the storyline, like someone above said, was what caught you off guard, rather than have all these pointless - ill plotted fights and special effects thrown about... TNG had the occasional fight / attempt at good special effects, but it was almost always supported by well thought out plots and good acting... of course, you'd get the odd bad show, like any series would have the odd time, but they were quite rare... Even the old old TNG was very enjoyable...

If you constantly try to spice up something with special effects and fights then, in my opinion, that just makes for a repetetive and boring show...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    It is most definately The Next generation - Patrick Steward had the privelage to play the best damn captain in the whole Collection of Star Trek's, and that was hightened by the fact that he's a brilliant actor, as were some of his companions...
    Totally agree :)

However your idea about frequent battles / special effects becoming boreing / repetitive.... nonscence! i like the purtty colors and the big bangs n stuff ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

maybe there should be a "Best Captain thread"... Anyway for now i still say TNG.. Voyager comes second once you get to where the Borg come in, actually a good few of these were better than TNG ever were but a few compared to so many is not a good comparison.. umm DS9 same, GREAT when worf, Defiant etc came into it.. in fact Sisko is not Sisko with hair! he needs it shaved with a goatee.. He is a very good actor i think... actually i have Avery Brooks in the underrated actors thread..

Originally posted by Saruman
    .. in fact Sisko is not Sisko with hair! he needs it shaved with a goatee.. He is a very good actor i think... actually i have Avery Brooks in the underrated actors thread..

Brooks does seem to have the "Shatner stammer" though, when he gets excited... :eek:

My favourite line of his was "I wasn't 'yelling', I was merely expressing my opinion loudly" from 'The Wire' when Bashir tells him he shouldn't be shouting at admirals ;)

Gadget

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget
    Brooks does seem to have the "Shatner stammer" though, when he gets excited... :eek:
    Thank you! thank god i'm not the only one to see that, or atleast acknowledge it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The original was, and always will be, the best.

Everything else sucked.

Originally posted by azezil

Thank you! thank god i'm not the only one to see that, or atleast acknowledge it! :)

Likewise ;)

Gadget

Likewise ;)

Gadget

Yea, but not as bad. I'm just waiting to hear an "oh boy"

The Shatner stammer was funny sometimes.. I have a scene in my mind when he turns around and says "Spock" in the way only shatner can... i think it was in the first movie.. had me and my brother in stitches laughing.. Brooks though just seems a but more serious and intelligent than Shatner..

Ever see the DS9 ep where he flips out and thinks he is a writer or publisher or something back in the 30's? major stammer there

anyway... what was this thread about? Fave Star trek series? Oh i answered that one.. still an episode of Enterprise later its still next gen for me.. but we shall see...

Originally posted by Slydice

Yea, but not as bad. I'm just waiting to hear an "oh boy"

If I remember "Quantum Leap" correctly, the most likely candidate for the first "Oh Boy!" will be Scott Bakula :D

If "Al" shows up I'm leaving... :rolleyes:

Gadget ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BlackMagic

well i have been watching enterprise and i must say its as good if not better then tng

• Advertisement

Damn these working hours, I miss Enterprise on monday cause i'm in college and on sunday cause of work :(

Only seen 2 of the episodes but thought them pritty good and a definite contender for the top spot :)

Of course i'm just waitin for the 'oh boy' ... if that happens i can assure you u will see such a moan that'll make RopeDrink's look like an average reply!!! :p:D

*Gulp* now thats a threat

azezil can you not record it? and i think sky repeats it Saturday or Sunday anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

tng

Originally posted by azezil
    Damn these working hours, I miss Enterprise on monday cause i'm in college and on sunday cause of work :(
    ;)

And i can't record it cause that would require a member of my family to sit through it which really isn't an option ;) feckers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Why would you want to waste a tape recording it anyway. Its a crappy programme!

Advertisement