Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography?-A joke?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

6 years old!

ibtl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Sangre wrote: »
    Is it just me or is geography the biggest joke of a subject in the leaving. I think its the one subject that doesnt get harder after the leaving, theres just more to learn (except the field study but that is a gaurenteed question so its easy to learn)

Theres so much choice in the subhect E.g do 3 out of 5 questions and in them do out of four, i think except you have to do the Ordenece survey(ohhh noo)

I think its just really unfair when you compare it to subjects like Hnours maths and Biology if you put even half the work you would ion those subjects you'll get an A.

HAs any1 else noticed this?

P.s i might be a bit wrong on the format of paper

I did the leaving in 1998 and expected to bail thru the paper probably expecting a B1 or B2. It ended up being my worst result with a D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

barcoe4 wrote: »
    I am doing my Field Studies prject and was wondering if anyone knows if theres Any Sample ones out there at all because I am finding it difficult to start part 2-3??

Any links to any examples of Field study would be great thanks.:confused:

im in the same boat. going to be filling mine out next week i think, anyone know of anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

but geography is sooooooo boring :(
    i cant stick it (moving to physics tomorow, cant wait)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fad wrote: »
    but geography is sooooooo boring :(
    i cant stick it (moving to physics tomorow, cant wait)

You are in for a shock. I do both. Physics is comically hard, I reckon I could get a C3 in Geography on general knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You are in for a shock. I do both. Physics is comically hard, I reckon I could get a C3 in Geography on general knowledge.

Physics is easy, once you understand it (read are good at it), the amount of study you need to do is comically minimal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Keeping in mind that there are different types of intelligence eg it's quite common to find that someone who maybe struggles with maths has a natural flair for languages. Physics can be very, very hard or it can be easy, it just depends on what way your brain processes information (ie has nothing to do with being 'stupid').

i have other reasons for swapping from geography but it was just so boring, sure a C£ with no work is grand but strangely id prefer a better grade in a subject that will almost certainly be useful in MY immediate future:)

Makes sense :) Tbh I did it because I loved it for the JC. I was told to do physics for medicine instead of biology but A) I thought this was stupid because you kinda need to know the human body and B) I preferred biology plain and simple. If you find geography too boring that's fair enough. No point spending two years doing a subject you don't enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

SRFC90 wrote: »
    im in the same boat. going to be filling mine out next week i think, anyone know of anything??

Hey I found a really good site For the field trip On River Study!

http://www.teachnet.ie/abrennan/

Check it out!! Very Helpfulif you are doing Rivers for your Geography Report!

• Advertisement

Makes sense :) Tbh I did it because I loved it for the JC. I was told to do physics for medicine instead of biology but A) I thought this was stupid because you kinda need to know the human body and B) I preferred biology plain and simple. If you find geography too boring that's fair enough. No point spending two years doing a subject you don't enjoy.

thanks for understanding, i liked geography for JC but i dont know what happened, i lost all ''passion'' for it

Good luck with the physics :) I'd offer you my book but the last person I gave it to never gave it back grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I don't think it's a joke..the marking scheme is so strict. I lost out on the A1 because I didn't know enough about desertification or something. It's a very broad subject I think. It's not easy..I was the only one who got an A out of 40 or 50 in my year who did it? Biology also is not easy..I tried and tried with it and it still dragged me wayyyy down, C1 but with so much effort. It is no not the easy science subject, obviously it's been dumbed down since 2004 or something but it's still awful, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

*line disregarded due to my stupidity:O*
    Anyway, personally i think its a dodgy subject.
    Went from a B2 in the mocks to a C3 in the real deal.
    Be careful with this one!

*Old thread btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Being only in 5th year and all I have learned a lot about the geography exam as my teacher is one of the chief advising examiners for leaving certificate higher level geography.

One of the biggest things that ****ed up a lot of students in this years exam was the fact that the overall cohesion mark was abolished at this years correcting conference. The main reason for this was in the first year of the new syllabus 2006, where overall cohesion marks were graded from a scale of 0-6, teachers were only giving students a minimum of 2 to 3 marks for overall cohesion when actual fact that answers which some students were producing were either very good or excellent and did not deserve to be marked so badly. So they decided to get rid of this system and mark totally on SRP's which caused problems as many students/ teachers who believed that overall cohesion still existed were surprised to find that the maximum score that students got in questions was 24/30 due to the absence of the overall cohesion system. Nobody knows what they can do with the marking scheme. Whos to say they wont bring back the OC mark in 2008 or even when Im doing it in 09?

The next thing which is debatable is what is considered a SRP. To one person it could be a word and to another it could be a sentence. To an extent it is subjective marking and my teacher has shown me this from many examples of this from appeal candidates.

On the brighter side of things, well for me anyway! in 2009, is practically all the questions which can be asked in the exam will be repeated indefinetly as the lifespan of questions was supposed to last at 4 or 5 years but it looks like in 2008 that there will be a lot of repitition.

The books in my opinion for the subject are rubbish. They have way too much information than is required in the exam and it has gotten to the point where my teacher gives us notes ( the notes are legendary! ) and we dont even read from the book but only for reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Being only in 5th year and all I have learned a lot about the geography exam as my teacher is one of the chief advising examiners for leaving certificate higher level geography.

One of the biggest things that ****ed up a lot of students in this years exam was the fact that the overall cohesion mark was abolished at this years correcting conference. The main reason for this was in the first year of the new syllabus 2006, where overall cohesion marks were graded from a scale of 0-6, teachers were only giving students a minimum of 2 to 3 marks for overall cohesion when actual fact that answers which some students were producing were either very good or excellent and did not deserve to be marked so badly. So they decided to get rid of this system and mark totally on SRP's which caused problems as many students/ teachers who believed that overall cohesion still existed were surprised to find that the maximum score that students got in questions was 24/30 due to the absence of the overall cohesion system. Nobody knows what they can do with the marking scheme. Whos to say they wont bring back the OC mark in 2008 or even when Im doing it in 09?

The next thing which is debatable is what is considered a SRP. To one person it could be a word and to another it could be a sentence. To an extent it is subjective marking and my teacher has shown me this from many examples of this from appeal candidates.

On the brighter side of things, well for me anyway! in 2009, is practically all the questions which can be asked in the exam will be repeated indefinetly as the lifespan of questions was supposed to last at 4 or 5 years but it looks like in 2008 that there will be a lot of repitition.

The books in my opinion for the subject are rubbish. They have way too much information than is required in the exam and it has gotten to the point where my teacher gives us notes ( the notes are legendary! ) and we dont even read from the book but only for reference.

Ahem.....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54713232#post54713232;)
    Never count on the SEC for for anything btw, they are c*nts when it comes to exam setting and customer service duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Is a geography a joke subject? Most definitely!!
    I'm in my second year at Trinity and I'm doing a science degree, but I'm taking a geography module this year for a few easy marks. I hadn't done goegraphy for my leaving cert either so I thought I would need to do a lot of catching up but no! You will be pleased to know that we learn junior cert level stuff in "Irelands most prestigious university"! I'm merely using geography so I can get sufficient marks to major in biochemistry next year, my real area of interest.
    I've a lot more respect for people that study maths, physics or chemistry - REAL subjects (like I did :cool: )

It's quite possible that we were in the same lectures and labs phenomenon :) Geography in first year was (-_-)zzzz. We were doing planets and such craic (I think, I didn't really turn up much)- the sort of thing you read in a kids book when you were eight.

Good luck with the physics :) I'd offer you my book but the last person I gave it to never gave it back grr.

Thanks, i got the book and i dont seem to have a massive amount to catch up on, wont be easy but mneh!

i think how easy it is depends on your teacher tbh, sometimes you'd get a teacher and you'll get an A with little effort, others you'll barely pass, so dont just rely on how your teacher grades you the examiner who grades the paper could and probably be stricter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Naikon wrote: »
    Ahem.....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54713232#post54713232;)
    Never count on the SEC for for anything btw, they are c*nts when it comes to exam setting and customer service duties.

haha Good man Naikon for picking up on my laziness but I thought I would just copy and paste my previous comment as its relevant.:D:D:D

Yah the SEC are bastards.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

barcoe4 wrote: »
    Hey I found a really good site For the field trip On River Study!

http://www.teachnet.ie/abrennan/

Check it out!! Very Helpfulif you are doing Rivers for your Geography Report!

perfect!!! im doing rivers too!:D

Advertisement