Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending IOL email through a LAN

• 02-11-2000 8:26pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

Quick Question...

My wife has an @iol email address which she wants to send and recieve from work, but she connects there thru a LAN, so she gets the relaying denied message when trying to send...(receiving isn't a problem).
    Dialing out isn't really an option, as isn't using the IOL webmail service (well, only as a last resort anyway...).

Is there any way to configure outlook express settings to allow sending IOL mail through her LAN connection...?

licksy2.jpg
    Don't even think about it...™

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Probally a firewall of something, best bet is to talk to the network admin.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I use mailstart.com or twigger.co.uk to access(send & receive) my IOL email at work

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Tell her to check her @iol mail first then immediately after that try sending a Queued one, failing that theres no other way out of it except using something like mailstart.com

Blade

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 03-11-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You can normally recieve mail no problem from most mail servers. The reason you can't send mail through it is because you are not logged into IOL.

The IOL server will only allow it's own users to send mail to stop spammers.

The best thing you can do I guess is to set up a web account (eg. hotmail, ireland.com) and have it with a return address of your IOL account (and cc your iol account if you want a copy of the mail).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just set up the mail account to use the IOL POP3 server and the SMTP server that the local network uses. It won't check the email address or username and password when sending mail, just the IP address.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

thanks for the advice...

I'll print this out and get her to ask her IT admin about setting it up on monday....

Advertisement