Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web browsers

Options
  • 28-01-2002 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

I really cant be arsed posting a poll, so ill just ask:)

What browser do you guys use?

I switched to IE from NN for speed issues, but IE seems slow now too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

IE 5 for OSX but just got an update of Opera so will be trying that out for a while, hope it runs Java like a good little browser should.

You should try Opera if it's speed you're after Dustaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Netscape
    IE 5
    I have the latest version of Mozilla but haven't tried it yet.

My nice two button usb mouse broke last night. Now back to that crappy ufo mouse. Grrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

iCab is the best browser by far.

http://www.icab.de

Built in filters for javascript (disable pop-ups!), filters for images (disable ads!)
    More configurable than any other browser out there.

It's only 1.7 Mb to download, only needs 4Mb Ram, and it's European. In buily syntax checker - great for site designers.

IE crashes all the time
    Netscape is a memory hog
    Opera is ok, but it's barely at Alpha really
    Mozilla - takes 5 million hours to start, and is full of unwanted bells and whistles.

So go download iCab now!

Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

Is pretty good.

The only time its 'slow' is when it is rendering massive long list type stuff.

I hated switching to IE from netscape, but SOO many websites have issues with lucking yuck in NN [which does support CSS, background images etc pretty craply]

I've played around with Opera, but I never get around to installing it and running it before my 30 days are up in the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I used to use Netscape but was told (by someone in a position to know) that the guys who develop Explorer don't even have a PC in their office, and are true Mac heads. More important to me than that was the report that Explorer had better Unicode support. Which it did.

Recently I've been doing some Unicode font development and have been testing different browsers from time to time to see how they handle Unicode. I haven't looked at Opera or iCab yet in this regard, but I do have to say that OmniWeb performed fantastically, displaying Apple's Last Resort font correctly for missing characters, and even correctly handling combining diacritical marks. When 10.1 was released, a new version of the Last Resort font was released which differed from the previous one, and OmniWeb hasn't been updated to take that into account yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement