Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV on a budget, (€500)

• 28-01-2002 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Hmm if i were u i wouldn't buy off the internet, the delevery would be the same price as the TV. I am the starter of the wide-screen thread and i think what i'm gonna do and i'd advise u to do is go into power city or somewhere like that wit ure €500 a buy the best one u can. That way u get to see the TV and get some advise off the chap in power city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds good, except for the part about getting advice from the guys in PowerCity!

Check out the usuals, e.g.
    Toterdells
    Arnotts (downstairs)
    DID
    PowerCity
    Browne Thomas
    Harry Moores (HM Rentals/Entertainment?)
    Peats
    etc.

When you've found the best deal you can for €500 then research that model on the internet and see if it suits your needs..
    1) Check the manufacturer's website
    2) Do a Web search for the model number
    3) Check TV review web sites...

If you can find the same model in two of the above stores, then get a written quote, and bring it to one of the other stores. They'll at least match the price... See if they'll drop the price, or throw in a freebie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I got a nice Philips 28" for €600, it has a built in FM radio and does multiple screen modes (widescreen, superwide, 4:3, zoom 16:9, zoom 14:9, subtitle zoom). Nicam, teletext etc.

Very happy with it. Bought in Curry's.

John.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beware of cheap widescreen boxes, some by Whafedale
    and another brand the name of which escapes me have gone up in smoke. Cheap prices means cheap, Made in China sweatshop parts and labour. I reckon you should always go with a big name and pay a little more.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Curries or Dixons are generally a lot better than the likes of Power City. I bought my Sony 28" Wide Screen from Curries about a year ago and have never had any problems with it. DVDs have never looked so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lucutus lad do not buy a cheap widescreen. Spend the cash on a decent box. I got my Panny 28" from Totterdells a Year and a half ago on Interest free credit paid monthly over a year. It cost me £579. I'd advise you to do something similar if you can't afford one lump sum. I'd recommend the Panasonic btw nice box.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ESB do interest free deals with half-decent prices sometimes too, check the local shop out, they may have the model you're lookin for.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

..mitsubishi 28" widescreen in powercity.. details on other page.. very nice set.

Advertisement