Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When O When

Options
  • 28-01-2002 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have an update on when Eircom are gonna stop messing us around and give flat rate net access, I don't really care if it's isdn/adsl/pstn once it's flat rate, my isdn bill is gonna be huge and all because I check my emails everyday :rolleyes: if it is and they don't bring out flat rate soon, they can shove isdn where the sun don't shine, anyway enough ranting, any updates or are we all in the dark :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Yurma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The ODTR is delaying ADSL over pricing issues.

To be honest I’d prefer to have ADSL NOW…. to hell with the cost!!

I first used ISDN ten years ago (1992) and to be honest I did not think it was much good back then. Its 2002 now and quite frankly this is pathetic!

:mad: :( :mad: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by Praetorian
    The ODTR is delaying ADSL over pricing issues.

To be honest I’d prefer to have ADSL NOW…. to hell with the cost!!

I first used ISDN ten years ago (1992) and to be honest I did not think it was much good back then. Its 2002 now and quite frankly this is pathetic!

:mad: :( :mad: :(

I agree with ya, I would also prefer ADSL but not with the stupid cap that eircom only put on it to make more mula! As if they haven't milked us enough, they need to sort themselves out, becuase if they don't and other telcos come into this country offering phone services/internet services there will be an eircom ghost town. God I hope that day's soon (And I'm an athiest) lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Praetorian
    To be honest I?d prefer to have ADSL NOW?. to hell with the cost!!

That would make matters even worse. At present, only Eircon could release a DSL product and make profit off it due to their ludicrous wholesale asking price. Therefore, they could charge what they like, and few would take up dsl due to a) the price and b)d/l caps.

Thus the status quo is kept as is, and nothing really changes for the home user and small business

Do you REALLY want that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Yurmasyurda

I agree with ya, I would also prefer ADSL but not with the stupid cap that eircom only put on it to make more mula! As if they haven't milked us enough, they need to sort themselves out, becuase if they don't and other telcos come into this country offering phone services/internet services there will be an eircom ghost town. God I hope that day's soon (And I'm an athiest) lol :p
    Eircom can get away with the CAP because they are not expecting competition. The cap is set by the ISP. Eircom are hoping that by maintaining a high wholesale price, no external ISP will be interested. That leaves it's own internal ISP Eircom.net. Since there is only one ISP, that ISP can dictate terms such as an extortionately high retail price and a tiered pricing model that allows them to extract the maximum out of each market segment.

When a company owns its own retail arm, and has a monopoly on a wholesale product, a high wholesale price can be used to restrict retail competition so you effectively also have a retail monopoly. Once you have a retail monopoly you can charge whatever price you want and cripple the product in various ways in order to extract the maximum from each segment.

The regulator has no choice but to delay the launch until Eircom can justify its wholesale price. The wholesale price must be justified on a cost basis.

Unfortunately, as was pointed out on another thread, Eircom themselves might not be particularly bothered by the delay since they make money through time-metered products like PSTN and ISDN. I'm not sure of the costs to Eircom for these services but people sure are paying through the nose for them!
    Personnally, I have no problem with people wanting ADSL even at Eircom's prices. But if the regulator allowed the release of ADSL now, the cap would remain and you might not have the option of switching to an uncapped product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

*cough*, oh why did the government delay the introduction of the comms bill ????? I'm sure that once the comms bill is passed, we'l soon have flat-rate..... i hope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by ando
    *cough*, oh why did the government delay the introduction of the comms bill ????? I'm sure that once the comms bill is passed, we'l soon have flat-rate..... i hope
    I've been told that we will know whether the comms bill to be put before the Dail tomorow (Tuesday, 28 Jan). It is still very tight if they want to get it enacted before the election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

why did the government delay the introduction of the comms bill

Lobbying? Bribery? Corruption? :)

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    why did the government delay the introduction of the comms bill

Lobbying? Bribery? Corruption? :)

adam

Well if that's the case it will never be introduced :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Call me an old sceptic but this problem could have been solved a couple of years back if the goverment had had the will yet for some strange reason eircoms behaver has gone unchecked to date given this countrys record on govermental fraud tribunals it makes you wonder.The iceing on the cake has to be an election coming up huuummmm i have a picture forming in my head.If another party gets in we will end up forking out another xxxmillions €,s in Taxpayers money for another tribunal and then we may finaly get the full picture as to why this is happening.The sad thing is the new goverment would blame the old, the old goverment will refuse to answer questions and some lesser known TD will go to jail for a week aint politics great!!!.

Stone

Tiocfaidh Ar La (as in the adsl sense)

Never thought I'd use those words!

Yurma

• Advertisement
Advertisement