Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Out on laptop

• 28-01-2002 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I recently bought a laptop with a DVD player and a TV-out port, no cable came with it so i went to Maplin and got a cable for it with a scart connection on it, but when i plug it in nothing happened, i tried tuning in the tv, i made sure the bios setting where set to PAL, changed the resolution on the laptop but nothing, any idea's!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

You shouldn't have to tune the TV at all if the computer is connected via a scart/euroconnector/peritel cable - just press 'AV' (or on some TVs 'Video').

Also, quite a few laptops produce an S-Video signal and your TV may not be S-Video capable - this usually results in a B+W picture. You can get a cable (from Maplin!) which will convert the S-Video signal to the normal video signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

Ah yes i seen something about S-Video in the documentation that came with teh laptop when i was trying to sort this problem but i just assumed my tv was compatable, but i didnt even get a black a white picture, Another trip to maplin is needed i think, thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

this may be a sill question but sometimes the simple is overlooked! Did you enable the TV out on your laptop? depending on the video driver but usually its in advanced in display properties (where yo change the res etc..and there is a displays or even tv/projector tab.. if its an ATI chip its displays and you get the option of TV, monitor and LCD so you click to enable whatever one you want.. its not just plug in the cable and away you go!

I cant click on the tab that says tv out, its not highlighted and i have the most up to date driver, any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is it a Dell laptop with an ATI card?
    I believe you may have to have the TV connection plugged into the laptop, then click on the Power button to enable the TV tab.

BTW: I've tried DVD on my TV, using the laptop's TV-out, and it's pretty poor quality. You're much better off getting yourself an MPEG card with TV out. Huge quality difference.

Even better, get youself a standalone DVD player..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown

BTW: I've tried DVD on my TV, using the laptop's TV-out, and it's pretty poor quality. You're much better off getting yourself an MPEG card with TV out. Huge quality difference.

Even better, get youself a standalone DVD player..

I tried this as well, and it just aint worth it. As Krusty said, the best thing for you to do is get a standalone DVD Player. IOL Shop does a pretty good player for a very reasonable price, check out this

viking

Thanks for the suggestions lads, its a Pakard Bell Laptop with a SIS 630/730 8Mb Garphics card, I know the quality probably wont be the best but i still want to get it working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

when igot meh shiny new gf3 ti 500 last week i was eager to test out this TV OUT as well

spent about 15E on cables :( and plugged them all in at home - switched the telly to "av" and nothing ......... not a sausage

i went off to google and searched for some utils and got tv tool and as soon as i installed and ran it my windows desktop appeared on the screen :D

now its limites to 10 per exec till u reg/buy it :( but i assume there is other free versions of such

and btw
    the image on the telly isnt great - dont get your hopes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I don't mean to insult your intelligence strat...but your not forgetting to go to display properties and actually switch the output to TV?

Are you using S-Vid or the Digital Out on the Ti500. My Ti200 doesnt have a digi out and we're thinking of getting a sony widescreen :(

1 word...'nuts!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Kyro i suggested that but he said it was greyed out.. so what do we suggest then? Update the drivers!! You could even take a chance and email Dell.. oooh copy and paste in here, could be worth a goo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ramius,

Like I said, on my Dell laptop, I have to have the lappie connected to the TV before the TV tab in [advanced properties] is enabled.

Once you have it connected to the TV, you may be able to enable the TV out at that point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Kyro
    I don't mean to insult your intelligence strat...but your not forgetting to go to display properties and actually switch the output to TV?

thats the first thing i tryed and it didnt work - all the options for tv out was greyed out :confused:
    it was then i went to get that Tv Tool thing and i dont need to switch any other settings - just leave this running in the tray - sorted

Advertisement