Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under-rated bands?

Options
  • 28-01-2002 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

They're great, but they don't get as much of the limelight as they deserve... either because not enough people have good taste these days or because there's too much popstar/girlband/boyband sh*te around...

sort of like the under-rated actors thread, but with bands, - I guess...

I'm talking about the likes of :

Muse
    Blink 182
    The Devlins
    Aslan
    Gorrilaz

any more examples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Bard
    They're great, but they don't get as much of the limelight as they deserve... either because not enough people have good taste these days or because there's too much popstar/girlband/boyband sh*te around...

sort of like the under-rated actors thread, but with bands, - I guess...

Muse
    Blink 182
    The Devlins
    Aslan
    Gorrilaz

any more examples?

Yeah... us!!! :)
    IMO Aslan are over rated, big time, and they weren't nice to us when we supported them so :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Type O Negative

how come they're not better known??

and DO NOT say anything bad about them 'cos I'm in lust with Peter Steele!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

The Frames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Well Irish Music in General.... Outside of Ireland anyway it seems that not much attention is being paid to Irish artists.

Also
    Jump, Little Children
    The kinks
    the yardbirds
    The Jam
    Thin Lizzy
    The Prayer Boat
    Richard Ashcroft's Solo work
    Ian Brown
    The Frames (outside of Dublin)
    Elvis Costello

hmm I guess those are underappreciated actually not really underrated per se.... well im sticking with my list anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Skindive
    Muse
    JJ72

Aslan are hugely over rated.

meh 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

this looks like an overrated thread.. muse ffs? underrated? haven't heard anyone shut up about them in the past 6 months.

my two cents: sebadoh and kila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

Originally posted by atonal
    Well Irish Music in General.... Outside of Ireland anyway it seems that not much attention is being paid to Irish artists.

Ireland is a little spit of a country right on the edge of a continent. why should your average german pay us any attention when there's a much larger music scene in their own country...
    If it's any consolation, one of the largest US TV audiences of the year will see U2 play the half time show of the superbowl next week.

back to the topic in question, my vote goes to
    1. Village People (so much more than YMCA)
    2. Warlords of Pez (best band in the country right now, but far too colloquial for an international audience)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Jimmy Eat World.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Damien Dempsey

Go on, say it...

"Ya Wha'?"

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by Bard

Muse
    Blink 182

any more examples?

Muse and Blink 182 underated?! Fup off! Blink are all over the place, and Muse are happy where they are..they don't want to be massive and poppy and are talking more of a Radiohead route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    Type O Negative

Um...

Agreed with the whole band being under-rated, but can we leave out the lust!?

Take a look at my sig! :)

Originally posted by harVee

why should your average german pay us any attention when there's a much larger music scene in their own country...

Why should anyone have paid attention to Seattle a little backwater of a city almost in Canada? Becasue at one point it had loads of great original music coming out of it. I think Irish bands get a lot less respect than they should, it is an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Doves.

Lost Souls is a great album, and seeing as how a) their music is used as backround music in every TV clip excerpt in the world ever and b)they have a new album out this year, i thought i'd mention how great they are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Angelwhore - but can we leave out the lust!?

I'm sorry, but there is no way to leave out the lust - after I saw him in da flesh there was no going back!!! lol mmmmm yummy..

btw - cool sig! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

under rated bands.

blink 182. While they are superb, they are not under-rated but are in fact massive in america.

One of you losers said that the kinks and thin lizzy are under-rated. that's just not true.

A UK band that are actually under-rated and should be way bigger than they are are feeder. great music, great live.

The frames. absolutely under-rated. one of the best bands to come out of ireland in a long time. albums and live performances are as the french say....'c'est tres beaucoup magnifique'.

Aslan. if anything they are over-rated. scumbags love that sh1t cos they like to see one of thier own being semi-succesful. I fupping hate this band.
    AUDIENCE: CHRISTY! - WE LOVE YOU
    Christy: Well then spot me a score so i can get me fix. waaaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Gerry

I agree tct.

muse are not underrated, and as kali said, they get plenty of airtime.

Skindive are a band with potential, I heard them live, but they still have some way to go before becoming a band that deserves a higher rating.

ASLAN FOOKING ASLAN are way overrated. Useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Niallmac

Have to say I do not believe noone mentioned The Walls. Really good band that do not get enough attention.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Frames - yes.

System of a Down - everyone who's heard of them but doesn't listen to them thinks they're some sort of nu-metal rubbish. This is just not true - they are the new RATM for me. For any band to have produced 2 albums of such insane quality is a rare thing.

Muse won the "Best Brittish Band" award from Kerrang! They're not in need of publicity and they're certainly not under-rated in my opinion - I quite like.

Blink 182 - they're very popular with the kids - the young twenty-somethings (i.e. the likes of me) don't have too much respect for them because we had Green Day in our time :) However, they do have potential to write good tunes when they're not ripping Green Day off.

Devlins - yes indeed. I quite like them (playing in Galway 28 Feb incase people don't know).

Skindive - not groundbreaking by any means so, no.

Scheer - they've split up now, but they absolutely ruled! So few people have even heard of them too - criminal. One of the best bands to have even come out of Ireland. The album's called "Infliction" incase anyone's interested - look for it in the bargin bins *sniff*. And yer one, Audrey Gallagher who was the lead singer is an awful cute bit of fluff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Aslan.... I fupping hate this band......

LOL:D

I absolutely agree, they are frickin' S.H.I.T.E!

There are so many other bands out there that deserve the recognition more then those gits :mad:

And the Frames, yeah I'd have to agree they desrve to do better - they're brilliant musicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Elbow
    Turin Breaks
    Beta Band
    Sigur Ros
    Boards of Canada
    Cannibal Ox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by the celtic tiger
    A UK band that are actually under-rated and should be way bigger than they are are feeder. great music, great live.
    nah they got their mtv time, then disappeared into obscurity to reappear with that horrible new single and some dead drummer. didn't quite think much of them when i see them live.
    The frames. absolutely under-rated. one of the best bands to come out of ireland in a long time.

i don't think they made it out of ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Under-rated: Snow Patrol, Zero 7, Relish & Picturehouse.

Over-rated: Muse, U2, Aslan & Madonna.

The Frames:
    i don't think they made it out of ireland

They have tried (and still are) playing gigs in Europe and America etc

But if they had had the good sense years ago to get the f*** out of this country and emigrate, they would undoubtedly have had major success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    Type O Negative

Having shared a van with them for 30 minutes I can only say that they suck bigtime...

Originally posted by Shred
    The Frames:

They have tried (and still are) playing gigs in Europe and America etc

But if they had had the good sense years ago to get the f*** out of this country and emigrate, they would undoubtedly have had major success

Nah... there are plenty of great Irish bands in the States getting even less recognition than The Frames (mostly only Irish at the shows of Irish bands)... its pathetic but unless you have mastered the synchronized head bob you are not going to get famous in the US right now. Maybe they shoud have gone to Soctland?

And to whoever said I am an asshole for saying Thin Lizzy, are you saying they werent good or just not under-recognized becasue out of Ireland nobody knows who the hell they are - they know the song "the boys are back in town" but would be hard pressed to name the band.

The Frames are playing The States next month - I am curious to see the turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I was under the impression that the frames turned down chances off becoming a "recognised" band after their first album, and are happy the way they are.

Well apparently the Frames signed a **** record deal in the last year (they didn't realise) that they are now contractually bound tofor the next couple of years. So that's them f****d for world domination (a pity )

its pathetic but unless you have mastered the synchronized head bob you are not going to get famous in the US right now

Well I'd have to say I disagree with you on that, it may be hard but...

Look at Stand (a rock band from Tallaght, for those of you who don't know http://www.standland.com ), they are doing really well over in New York. They've been there for a year working their asses off and have garnered a massive following over there along with a lot of hype and major label interest

They released two independent albums here and off they went (after being together for years though, they're all around their mid-twenties)

It can be done, I just don't think this country is a decent outlet for new talent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Well apparently the Frames signed a **** record deal in the last year (they didn't realise) that they are now contractually bound tofor the next couple of years. So that's them f****d for world domination (a pity )

I find this hard to believe since after their first album they screwed around a lotby record companies, and eventually started their own label - plateau records on which they've been releasing albums since. Have you more info to back up this claim?

Originally posted by Shred

Look at Stand (a rock band from Tallaght, for those of you who don't know http://www.standland.com ), they are doing really well over in New York. They've been there for a year working their asses off and have garnered a massive following over there along with a lot of hype and major label interest

It can be done, I just don't think this country is a decent outlet for new talent

I have both cd's, they are apparently coming out with a new one.
    I will be seeing them on Thursday night (opposite mrnorth another fantastic Dublin rock band, although I think they are not very well known there they are doing pretty well in NY also link in my signature will get you to their mp3.com page), I have seen them both quite a few times they play my local, - they are doing allright it is true but still the bands getting the big deals suck. Stand have a good group of dedicated fans but.... The Majority of STAND's shows are 60% cover shows in pubs. Meanwhile the big venues are full of total **** not to mention the radio.
    The Frames are playing Mercury Lounge - that is an OK venue but pretty small - my cousin's shyte band played there.

It can be done true - Yes I dont think Ireland is a great outlet for talent I agree - but it produces alot of it which is what I was getting at in the beginnning when I said Irish Bands were underrated. New York has too many bands most of which suck finding a good one is a needle in a haystack.

Enough complaining, im gonna see two great bands this week and the frames next week so im happy anyway.

• Advertisement

Have you more info to back up this claim?

Well it was a friend of mine who told me they'd signed the same deal that Stand were on years ago (with Warner) which wasn't worth the paper it was written on and Stand told warner where to stick it when it matured

As I said
    apparently

You are most likely right, it was just something this friend told me (he was knocking around the scene here at the time and had a few contacts, he's not one for bull****ting like) he'd heard

he thought it was a shame anyway:confused:

Advertisement