Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under-rated bands?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

I have both cd's, they are apparently coming out with a new one.

Yeah, an e.p. I think

Having said all of that about them, they pissed me off the last gig (Vicar st, 29/12), they changed a few of the tunes around (ruined one or two I thought) and the site seems to be completely aimed at Americans now, well the mail updates are ( no offense to the yanks , I know the band have a bit of brown nosing to do though)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I agree with plastic membrane, Doves are defo under rated. Their debut album Lost Souls is amazing. t'was my album of 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by Shred

they changed a few of the tunes around (ruined one or two I thought)

they have been messing with stuff - some of the songs kind of need it though. I think they are better live than they are studiowise put on a good show, "Anorak" and "Lift" are solid tunes.

some of the songs kind of need it though

This is true, but they really made a balls of 'Hoper'. It was a nice mellow tune with the quartet etc

Then they played it in Vicar St. and rocked it out! All they needed to do with the original was shorten it and make it a little less repititious towards the end and it would have been perfect

I just think they're starting to sound a tad too American ,losing some of their unique-ness, imho:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Shred

This is true, but they really made a balls of 'Hoper'. It was a nice mellow tune with the quartet etc

I just think they're starting to sound a tad too American ,losing some of their unique-ness, imho:rolleyes:

I have noticed this. I think all of these bands are trying to get noticed and are under some pressure to conform to a marketable sound. This is also somewhat true of the band playing opposite them tomorrow who are i.m.o. the best band in NYC in the set they choose the songs that are the most marketable and not necessarily the best. (although they hold the line a bit more than Stand). I can imagine STAND getting produced into Matchbox 20 if they ever get a deal. Sadly conformity sells. No disrespect to them, we all do what we have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

The Frames are so under-rated its not funny..

I also think Aimee Mann is also a very under-rated musician

I can imagine STAND getting produced into Matchbox 20 if they ever get a deal. Sadly conformity sells

This is what annoys me - that I can also see them heading down that road and it would be a shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Sigur Ros
    The Frames
    New Radiohead stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Badly Drawn Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Fila Brazillia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Irish rock bands doing well in America? Heh. What about that Irish death metal band? I hear they're doing real well in Germany! Hasselhoff style!

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Irish rock bands doing well in America? Heh. What about that Irish death metal band? I hear they're doing real well in Germany! Hasselhoff style!

NO my point was they are not doing nearly as well as they should be, they are doing OK I supposse. Also they are under huge pressure to conform thier sound a to more popular style (the crowds really don't get the artistic vocals and stuff) so the industry will pay them mind.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In Flames
    Morbid Angel
    The Haunted / At the Gates

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Irish rock bands doing well in America? Heh

OK I recant some of my previous statement on this....

Last Thursday S T A N D and M R N O R T H played back to back at the Bitter End in NYC. It was a truly magnificent show. They packed the house (lined up outside, pressed against the walls) and OWNED the crowd. It was a great thing to see these two fine Dublin bands share the stage for the first time and to see thier mutual respect for eachother. Frankly M R N O R T H blew the house down with an inspired performance and a fantastic encore of their anthem/hymn King Solomon. S T A N D put on an excellent show as well (although they did rock out Hoper) Both bands are apparently working on a bunch of new material, I am sure both will come through with more quality stuff.

neither band is by any estimation getting the industry attention they deserve but that night they were without a doubt the best thing going on in the city and they and everyone there knew it.

Two class Dublin Rock Bands Two class performances one little covercharge - unbeatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

um under rated hmmmmm

dinosaur Jr and the minutemen are very underated meaning there're never given the full praise for their contribution.....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Oh jeebus yes! I nearly forgot Steve Vai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Ultra Vivid Scene (late 80s- early 90s band - well, just one bloke really - on 4AD). Nearly all of my favourite wee bands who I championed when they were unheard of have become big - Spiritualized, Mercury Rev, Flaming Lips etc. But poor little UVS never made it, and their records still sound amazing.

With the exception of Fila Brazilia and the Minutemen, all of the bands mentioned so far have got loads of positive press coverage, some of them to the point of hype. I don't call that overrated. While the Minutemen have had their fair share of (justified) gushing reviews, they are one of those bands who seem to have a small number of very passionate fans but never became very well known. Dinosaur Jnr on the other hand, although they never made it to huge stadium status, are still regarded as legendary, and most people with half a clue about that era of music will at least have heard a few songs.

But Steve Vai?! Every metal-flavoured muso I've ever met gushes about him, not to mention evey guitar magazine. How is that 'underrated'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Jebus whats with all the Aslan bashing? Aslan have been been turning out consistently good music for over 10 years, the last album being one of their best.

My god people talk about the frames being under-rated, has any one actually heard their last album. Absolute and total rubbish.

Respect to Christy D, the biggest scumbag in music.

Originally posted by Rolo Tomasi

My god people talk about the frames being under-rated, has any one actually heard their last album. Absolute and total rubbish.

come on taste aside, agreed Frames are not to everybody's liking, but that is a brilliantly produced album Steve Albini did a wonderful job there really tapped into the band's skills. The best imo of the 4. I see how someone my not like it, it is a strange album, but it is not rubbish.

PS One of my favorite Movies Rolo!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Oi........................
    What about the Charlatans? They consistently release fine records, with the exception of 'tellin stories'. Britpop & the Charlatans just doesn't sound right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement