Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ultimate recovery cd

• 02-11-2000 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, soive just made a balls up of win 2k on my pc in work.
    and while i spend ages installing win98 and then win2k again, i decided to start d/ling all the stuff that will go back on it.
    so far, ive got get right, winzip, winamp, and sb live drivers and viidi drivers.
    im just thinking what else could you lash onto a cd for future reference. usefull stuff like.
    any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I always found sticking a screenie of your IP settings, wins etc onto a disk, a good idea. Just hide the disk somewhere so security overconscious people don't have a fit smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The_Elf

I think the best thing you can burn on a cd is a ghost image of your partition which has the OS of your choice all the drivers installed and everything set up and configured the way you like it...I use Nortons Ghost 5.1.

On the Ghost image dont have any software installed like MS Visual Studio, Office etc etc as it increases the size of the image and it may ot fit on the CD

Put definetly ghosting is your only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What about...

NT Service packs up to 6a, Security patches for Outlook/IE/Whatever, ICQ (or AIM, Y!IM or whatever other IM's you use), RealPlayer, Paintshop Pro, CuteFTP, FreeAgent (if you use Usenet), um... any drivers for scanners, digital cameras, etc., IomegaWare - oh and Mozilla M18 wink.gif

bard2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

acutually, on the ghost thing, thats not a bad idea, but since this is work im talking about then i can just copy the entire drive onto another drive.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Draco:
    All you need is 6a as it fixes everything the previous service packs did.

Yes, but you need to have the previous Service Packs on the machine first before installing a later version. There's a particular order to these things.

Apparently you can install SP3 on top of a fresh NT install (which is SP1), then IE4, then SP4 and then, skipping SP5, SP6 and then SP6a.

-or so I'm told, anyway.

bard2.gif

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 03-11-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

if you look at the post wwman put up......hes using win2k and 98........theres only one sp for win2k aand thats sp1

all you need are drivers for you sound, video and anyother cards you may need. some apps for the above and maybe some large game updates (if you play games at work) smile.gif

one more good thing is a list of config.ie what LoLth said smile.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

winace.
    winrar.
    netscape.
    mirc.
    quicktime.
    realplayer.
    partitionmagic.
    your windows update directory (IE5.5, mediaplayer etc.)

all stuff you will most likely find your self redownloading after any format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

export your DUN registry tree, v v v usefull smile.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Bard:
    What about...

NT Service packs up to 6a,
    All you need is 6a as it fixes everything the previous service packs did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DON'T FORGET THE DONKEY PR0n!!!!!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
Advertisement