Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT: Telecoms capacity upgrade is planned

Options
  • 28-01-2002 5:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/0128/4015655828BZBROADBAND1.html
    About 20 "metro rings" are to be provided around key towns which are earmarked for industrial development. Access to broadband communications will rise from the current figure of about 200,000 customers in the Republic, to about one million.

Uh, no, access to leased lines will rise from... etc... etc...

Fuppin' dummies.

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

At least it's not bad news and it is evidence of a more thorough (and local) approach.

Residential use is obviously not the main reason these "metro rings" (where did they get that phrase from :rolleyes: ) are being built. However, I hope they take the opportunity to route them through residential areas. Since they are not all being built by the telcos hopefully some will take a more long-term view. If places like Letterkenny and Dungarvan have a ring of fibre around them I hope it would it make cheap and fast broadband a reality for houses in estates on the outskirts of these towns.

Communications bill got a mention at the end too.
    Fuppin' dummies.

You're probably right though. I'll start being cynical again tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

200.000 BROADBAND customers hehehe rising to a million hoooot

Cheers i needed a laugh

Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

current 200,000 broadband??

Ahh... this must be the special IBEC type 'broadband'..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No Fergus, it's the special government broadband. Perhaps they should drop Etain a line, I'm sure she's be only too happy to explain.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

were are they getting one million from, what one in every 4 people will ahve a leased line

• Advertisement
Advertisement