Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Havin Trouble with a HD

• 28-01-2002 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I have an old machine which the Hard Drive went on
    its a P200, 64meg ram, I took it to a shop where a
    guy put in a 20 gig hard drive, to make sure it would work
    in it, and it did so i bought one. Its a Western Digital WD200
    20gig. So i took it home and installed in the machine but its
    only coming up in the bios as size 1754 and when i go into Win98 its sayin that its only 1.8gig.

Ive done a few things to try n fix it - I flashed the bios up to the latest version (The mobo is a chaintech 5TDM2) and did fdisk and deleted the partition and set it to maximum size before i formatted the drive again. Fdisk says its got only 1 partition of 1673mbytes size, and has usage of 100%

The first time i formatted the drive it was set to LBA in the bios, i changed that to Auto n reformatted - didnt help :(

So I'm stumped, any ideas?? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

What have you formatted the HD as?

FAT 16 max size is 2gig

Win 95 osr2 and above support fat32 with a max size of 2 terabytes...

Fdisk may ask you do you wish to enable large disk support (yes you do). Or you could use partition magic...

either way reformat with fat32 and it should fix it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

and if that doesn't work try manually setting the cylinders/heads/tracks options in the bios as high as they go and then check that fdisk says you have your 20gig, it's worked for me once when I had a similar problem, although i think the above answer should solve everything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

you should check and see if the western digital site has a utility - seagate had one and i was able to get a 10gb recognised by a 486.

if i was in your situation i would boot a linux install and use it to create a 20 gb fat partiton. linux doesnt use the bios to recognise hard drives so it has no problems.

windows Me has better support i think but i couldnt be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spaceman

Thanks lads ill try all that stuff n let yas know wot happened :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

there is one other thing that might help..

when you are doing the FDISK, try this..

FDISK /mbr

then hit return..

Do this 3 times...

just wipes the Master Boot Record of any traces that it might have of the old hard drive...

then do your normal FDISK...

I've come across this type of problem before and that usually works..

Good luck..

• Advertisement
Advertisement