Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i was thinking...

Options
  • 29-01-2002 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I was in music city a few nights ago and i was looking for some new music. I searched through shelves and shelves of cds, nice covers/designs some strange names, but absolutly nothing to indicate whats in the box apart from the section label put up by the shop. Which can cover a really broad style of music.

So i was thinking. Is this not really stupid design and marketing by the record companies.
    Basicly, after the initial air play and promo work they are relying on word of mouth and sheer luck to sell the product.
    how many great albums are there out there sitting on shelvs with nothing to advertise them.

Wouldnt it be smarter to employ a bit of common sence and follow the lead of videos and books. They all have a blurb on the back of them, and little info on whay type of story it is (thriller, comedy). and they even have reviews to give the consumer a better idea of whats it all about.

Now i know reviews are not thrustworthy but if you have an idea of whats what you know which sources to look for.
    eg. a review by film 2002 would be a better indicator then the warner bros. enetertainment mag about a warner bros. film.

so what do you think. Would you want your cds labeled better or are you happy whith the way things are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Considering a lot of people generally know what they are looking for when they are going in to buy cds, I don't think you really need more info on the covers or backs. Also seeing as most shops put cds in to sections dedicated to that genre you already know the type of music it is.
    Anyway are there really that many obscure bands out there with cds that people have never heard of?
    So, in answer to your question I think the packaging is fine as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's an interesting idea...

But I usualy buy most of My CDs in Sound Cellar, who are always more than happy to let me listen to the album before I buy it, if I haven't heard it before. Other than that, I'd usualy only buy albums I've heard before. On a CD I get with a magazine, or from a friend, or the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I think that this is the exact reason why Napster (and now AudioGalaxy etc.) benefits the music industry. Try before you buy. Some people may abuse it (in this context), but there is no better way about hearing new music (or old music which you aren't familiar with).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah I agree with Nerb there, and anyway a lot of places that sell albums online let you listen to parts of most of the songs. cdnow do and so do yahoo anyway

Advertisement