Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling slot1 p3 450's

Options
  • 29-01-2002 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I've got two p3 450s ( slot 1 ) and I intend to run them at 600 with a 133fsb. ( no options, either 100, or 133 )

They are two bogstandard 450's from gateway machines. Massive big heatsinks on em. They get up to around 50 degrees at peak.. maybe up to 57 or so. ( that's running at 450Mhz, 100fsb ).

So, what is the best way to cool them ? Where can I pick up decent slot1 heatsink/fans ? I heard about taking the cover off them as this traps some heat ? Any ideas or opinions welcome !

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have a P3 Cu 800. They're Katmais, so they have 512KByte cache at 225Mhz. These chips are biatches to overclock much. Get very unstable cos of the clock differences of the core and the cache. The Coppermines (my Cu) had half the case (256KByte) at full speed (800 here) so werea bit easier to do.
    I think 600 Might bea bit optimistic if they're running hot now.
    Take off the back plastic casing, cut them up to retain the things for the holding rods to plug into. Get soem big quiet Sunon or Pabst 80mm fans and starp them on. Might want to duct them with some card board too. Carefully clean the core Slugs and the cache chips with something like WD40. Get some arctic silver2 and reattach the heatsinks. Should do the trick :)
    If you want you could get a 96mm or 120mm fan and put it on the bottom of your PSU to draw yet more air up. You might also want to get som themral epoxy and an old P1 heatsink with or without a fan for the mobo chipset (Northbridge afaik) to stabilise it :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Does anyone know what the largest p3 slot 1 katmai is available.Im limited to 100fsb and dont know if my mobo will support coppermine cpu`s.
    I currently have a p3 600 and am looking to upgrade without changing the mobo(if I can get away with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Since theres massive heatsinks on the chips verb, just get some big fans and point them at them. Taking off the case will save you an extra couple of degrees. Theres a how-to somewhere on www.bxboards.com.

richie, the 600 is the fastest katmai. Tell us what your motherboard is, and we might be able to tell you. And obviously try a bit harder to find the manufacturers homepage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks Gerry,The mobo is a ws440bx board in a Gateway system.
    Made by Jabil on behalf of intel.
    Any info would help.

Advertisement