Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TiVo

• 29-01-2002 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭

[cross-posting to Films/TV, since I've no idea where this is best placed]

Anyone know much about the TiVo? (http://uk.tivo.com). If you don't fancy going to the site - here's a quick summary... TiVo is a DVR (Digital Video Recorder). It allows you to store 60 hours of telly onto it's onboard hard disk. As well as it's fancy "subscription" service (where you can "subscribe" to a show, for example - eastenders, and it'll record every episode of eastenders for you), it's got the capability to 'pause' live tv. This basically means you can record a live football match, pause it to go to the toilet, come back and resume where you left off - you don't miss a beat.

Right.. now that that's out of the way.. I want to know what the story is about using a TiVo over here in the Republic, has anyone done it? According to their website, service is not currently available, but surely that's only for their monthly subscription thing (I assume the TiVo uses a telephone line to download TV listings etc, and with the telco market being the way it is over here, they won't touch us). So - is there anything to stop me from just buying a TiVo and using the box to record stuff, without any fancy tv-guide options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

i would like to know that too.. sky have one.. Digital +
    same thing basically their own version of a Tivo and their own service that is available here for a fee obviously.. dont know if you can use them standalone... i hope so.. if i knew i could i would buy one i think... you can in fact put in larger hard disk too if you want.. though warranty is void.. yeah.. well anyway someone answer soon please.. can we use it standalone like a VCR or does it need to have the subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Try the Personal Cinema from Nvidia. Much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i am nearly sure that they will work as they are not depentant on a telephone line .but your problem is to get 1 as they are sold on a subscribition so have a look for a second hand 1

Advertisement