Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading computer

• 06-11-2000 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I've got a p166 32mb ram, and for christmas i'm thinking of upgrading it since it's about 3 years old now. How much would a new motherboard, P3 600mhz,and 128mb of ram cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Ill sell u a K6 mobo for £30 if u want V. It will take all P1's up to 550 Mhz. (socket 7)Usb support, 3 ram slots, 4 pci slots (i think), 2 isa slots, infra red support, onboard 3d graphics and onboard sound. Its the same as what i use. Got 2 at a special price and never used the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

First you should make sure your case will accept the new board. If you want to be really sure you should check voltage, ventalation, mountings, etc. If you can, buy both from the same site and have them attach the chip for you. I've heard it can be tricky and if they break if it's not your problem.

Buy the parts online. ****ed if I know where tho. overclockers.co.uk and scan.co.uk seem to offer good prices but you hear varying tales about service. Buying from the US would be cheaper still but you'd probably be hit for import duty and the extra delivery charge will probably nullify any saving you make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

f e c k is censored?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

vincent

your case will be at, so any new board you buy will need a new case

the easiest way to answer that question is if you put a figure on it. most techies here will give you specs of a machine if they know how much they have to "spend" as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I was talking to vincent, and the machine is a gateway g5-166, which has an atx power supply, and (i think) a standard atx format motherboard. So a new board would fit, and if the power supply is 200 watt, it should be fine, as the p3's dont draw very much current.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yup, they are standard ATX.

Overclockers.co.uk are good so long as they actually have what you want in stock. Otherwise they will string you along for weeks with excuses. But, in the end they ship good product at a great price. (says he who waited 4 weeks for his new 1Ghz combo).

Advertisement