Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The McKinsey Quarterly: A regulatory remedy for European broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Etain, I know you're sick of hearing from us, but take note:

"To make unbundling work, regulators must ensure that incumbents don't suffocate attackers between wholesale and retail price levels. Regulators must look beyond simple access fees to other costs imposed by incumbents, such as charges for space in equipment buildings, leased lines, and other necessities. Stronger penalties for operators that clearly obfuscate the process are also needed."

Regulators, mount up! (a reference lost on the younger of IrelandOffline's membership)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hiya Xian,

To make unbundling work, regulators must ensure that incumbents don't suffocate attackers between wholesale and retail price levels.

I could be wrong here, but this sounds a lot like "margin squeeze" to me, which is of course why the Regulator stopped Eircom's i-Stream retail rollout/

Regulators must look beyond simple access fees to other costs imposed by incumbents, such as charges for space in equipment buildings, leased lines, and other necessities.

Absolutely, however it appears the ODTR believes that the LLU regulation is pretty strong. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen though, and of course we still have the primary pricing battle, which I think is in the High Court tomorrow. (Actually, it was the 28th - looking into it.)

Stronger penalties for operators that clearly obfuscate the process are also needed.

This will be catered for in the Communications (Regulation) Bill. Have a look at the section entitled "Head 45: Offences and Penalties" here

[I know I often come across as hypocritical, but it can be hard to be livid and fair at the same time. :) Also, I wouldn't have posted it unless I thought it was appropriate.]

adam

Advertisement