Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EAP Update Girleens

Options
  • 29-01-2002 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

This is an interesting quote from one of their representatives. This is interesting considering they are really serious about getting this off to a start, weallly weallly soon ;)

Our service will be an always on connection to the Internet, based on a flat monthly fee, with speeds initially up to 512kbps. The service provides unlimited access and therefore there will be no cap on the amount of throughput. There will be a single user service, as well as a business services.

Yurma

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is going to appear negative, but it's not, it's more me being anal:

From [url=http://www.eap.ie/[/url]EAP's website[/url]:
    European Access Providers (EAP) will shortly launch a new broadband wireless DSL network into the Dublin market.
    Wireless DSL? Hello? From the DSL Forum:
    DSL: (digital subscriber line) a technology that exploits unused frequencies on copper telephone lines to transmit traffic typically at multi-megabit speeds.
    <adam shudders>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

and were will this be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Whens this meant to be happening ?

thats not the first time ive heard that being used, chorus were also saying that for awhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Seems to have a few hits in the old google. For example this one from techTV:

What the Heck Is 'Wireless DSL'
    Wireless DSL is not really DSL.
    At its best, fixed terrestrial wireless provides a broadband experience comparable to DSL, which is why it's sometimes called wireless DSL. However, the term DSL (digital subscriber line) properly refers only to data service over standard copper telephone lines. In addition, there are important technical differences between fixed terrestrial wireless and DSL. Hence, the term "wireless DSL" is not really accurate.
    I suppose it's no worse than "wireless local loop". Where's the 'loop'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I sent em a mail we are based in Tallght.this is what i got back..

Tom,

Thank you for expressing an interest in our service. The EAP broadband wireless service will initially be limited to the Dublin City market. Our service will be always on, based on a flat monthly fee, and with speeds up to 512kbps. Unfortunately it may be some time before our network is serving your locality, however I will contact you as and when we are live in the Tallaght area. Should you be aware of people in businesses in the Dublin 2/4/6 area that might be interested in participating in a trial of our network I would very much appreciate if you could let them know of our intention to be the first supplier of affordable broadband Internet access.

Best regards,

Charlie.

Are you Dublin based?

If you would like the opportunity to experience
    a very-fast, always-on, affordable, Guaranteed Irish
    Internet connection: send us
    an email from our web-site http://www.eap.ie

Charlie Ardagh, +353 87 *******, cardagh@eap.ie
    ====================================================
    Original Message
    To: info@eap.ie
    Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 6:07 PM
    Subject: Wireless access

Hi I work for a company based in Tallaght
    I would be more interested in giving you our business than those extortionists Eircom.
    Just wanted some prices when the wireless rollout is going ahead etc
    Regards
    Tom

Trial would imply free no ?
    the *'s are cause I didnt know wether i should print his number..

Theres gotta be alot of business ppl in the area's he mentioned involved with Ireland Offline ? If they contcated him would there be more urgency put on the rollout..?

Thing that bothers me is he didnt mention prices

all the best
    nem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by dahamsta
    This is going to appear negative, but it's not, it's more me being anal:

Wireless DSL? Hello? From the

From [url=http://www.eap.ie/[/url]EAP's website[/url]:

<adam shudders>

Well maybe whomever worded it didn't do a great job, seemingly they already have the network up and they're just adding the finishing touches to it, they are looking at city and close to city customers. There are packages they have ready for distribution but it wasn't clear when they are beginning the advertising campaign. Oh and they probably should have said Wireless type DSL or something like that. But the loop seems to be there already!

Originally posted by Boston
    and were will this be

Dublin Only!
    Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Whens this meant to be happening ?

Within the next month or two!

nice ill probably be able to get it, when i come off the adsl trials

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

nice ill probably be able to get it, when i come off the adsl trials

that was really worth the reply boston, now i'm in a pi$sed of humour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by ando
    How else did you think he got such a high post count? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yeah LoL ;)

its just I'm in dublin 5 and the service will be avail in dublin 4 and 6 :(

yeah LoL ;)

its just I'm in dublin 5 and the service will be avail in dublin 4 and 6 :(

I'd say they will accomodate, sure I'm in D9 and it's not that far from the city, they can put one of their poles outside my gaff lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

They mentioned 2/4/6. They are all Southside areas.

Why?

Anywaym, i contacted them, and its 246 and surrounding areas, so anywere within 6 kms of there main station should work.

One thing, i forgot to ask was about line of sight.

they did however say it is ethernet based, so easy connection to an rj45 connection,

They mention an small up front installation fee.

one thing that go me worried is, he kept talking about a company, nothing about home users

one thing that go me worried is, he kept talking about a company, nothing about home users

Me too, I replied to his email and told him that I was a residential user and not a business and unfortunately nothing :rolleyes: this is leading me to believe that there is no gold at the end of the feckin rainbow :(

Yurma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

i also emailed them saying i was a residential user and they said they have a single user option which could be used for residential users. Exact quote

"While we will not provide a residential service we will have a single user service that will be suitable for a SOHO. The service is an always on connection to the Internet, based on a flat monthly fee, and with speeds up to 512kbps."

Sonic.net in the US charges USD 57.95 per month with a USD 198 installation fee for home users and a USD 298 fee for business users.

This is for 384kbps-1.5Mbps/128kbps speed.

Because the Irish market is uncompetitive, I would expect a multiple of these prices to be charged here.

I keep up to date with the forum, however I am not a regular contributor. I will in time post the exact information on as many well regarded forums and interest group sites as possible. However only when we have final, accurate, and definitive product specifications and pricing. EAP hope that this will be towards the middle to the end of March.

With regards to your questions, there will not be a residential service, however there will be a single user service. This service will be an always on, unlimited service based on a flat monthly fee.

Line of sight is a requirement, IP addressing will be product specific, and more than likely one would need to upgrade to a business service for a static IP address.

I am not a regular contributor

Ditto Boston, I'm trying to keep my ears to the ground just incase anything ground breaking happens. Maybe a tad on the doubtful side but hopefully soon.

• Advertisement

no thats the email i got from him, i mentioned this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Tom,

That sounds like you have been working on our product definitions! Our business service will be more expensive than your proposal, however our single user, or SOHO service that will be supported during business hours, but none the less an unlimited always on connection will be roughly around the prices you describe below.

Best regards,

Charlie.

Are you Dublin based?

If you would like the opportunity to experience
    a very-fast, always-on, affordable, Guaranteed Irish
    Internet connection: send us
    an email from our web-site http://www.eap.ie

Charlie Ardagh, +353 87 *******, cardagh@eap.ie
    ====================================================
    Original Message
    To: Charlie Ardagh
    Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 8:33 PM
    Subject: Re: Wireless access

Thanks for the prompt reply Charlie

I could easily recommend you to around 25 - 30 companies as I work as an on site Service Contractor so anyone I deal with
    ill pass on your details ,they may not all be in Dublin mind you but a fair amount would be.

My only gripe about referring them to you would be price, Eircoms purposed ADSL prices are to say the least a sick joke as I occasionally work around Europe
    I've seen what other European's get for there money.

My opinion of a good price would certainly be no more than 70 - 90 euro a month, installation charges would not bother much as long as they did not surpass
    the 250 euro mark. A cap like say Eircom's 3gb would also be massively antagonizing to the people I deal with.

Also would residential users have access to your service ?

I wish you all the best with your project and if you can take the broadband market from Eircom all the better

Regards Tom

There was more in his mail but it was about refereal commision etc,sounds good from my point of view if they are good guys to deal with and the prices are around what I said id pass their name on.

I may be meeting them in the next 2 weeks or so. As for the 250 install,Id prefer it to be less there were no specific prices in the mail only general stuff,but 250 is 250 no rental no per minute I have clients that would gladly take this service

adios
    nem

Anyone know what Technology they use ?

its a box apparently that sits on your roof,
    its also rj45

Anyone know what Technology they use ?
    According to a recent Indo article, it's 2.4Ghz equipment. That was in last Thursday's print edition. I can't find the article on line. The article also mentioned that they were negotiating for another band, I think 3.2 Ghz. I can't remember exactly.

5 Ghz maybe ? Thats IEEE802.11a I believe.

2.4Ghz is license exempt so it means they cannot guarantee the quality of the service as anyone can use that frequency once they stick to the strict power output limit.

I'd like to be in a test area now. Could be fun. If it is 2.4Ghz theres nothing to stop people sticking up an antenna and trying to get a free ride....

:)

2.4Ghz is license exempt so it means they cannot guarantee the quality of the service as anyone can use that frequency once they stick to the strict power output limit.
    It was definately around the 2.4 area and the article mentioned the "unlicenced" nature of this band. Maybe they have got an exemption or something. The article also mentioned that they were trying to get other bands.

Mike

They can't get any other licensed bands unless theres a general public offer afaik. The old band used by Formus is still unused but if it were to be used again they'd have to get an expensive license for it off the ODTR and they'd first need to win the tender process for it.

IEE802.11a uses a frequency around 5Ghz but this band is not license exempt in Ireland and it would be illegal for them to use it. They also can't "negotiate" for it with the ODTR, a public tender would again be needed if it were to be licensed.

Hmmm the list of Telecom License Holders on odtr.ie is a bit out of date I think:

http://www.odtr.ie/licensees_general.asp

I wonder is it possible under the Freedom Of Information Act to get copies of the licenses ?

Might look into this....

http://www.odtr.ie/foi_how_get_information.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement