Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

99.99fps to 35fps upgrage???

• 29-01-2002 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I just 'upgraded' my machine :/

i just spent 100 euros on a geforce 256 ddr and razor boomslang 1000, and my fps has dropped from 99.99 to 35, same detail, only differences: Old card used opengl (2 voodoo2 12meg cards) and new one uses direct 3d.

CS used to work with opengl with my voodoo2's and now it dont, (i set the 3dfx minigl thing to default too)

Duron 1100mhz, 512ram, geforce 256 ddr,ATA 100 hd (7200rpm, 40gb) Abit kt7a, creative sb awe64 value, via4in1 drivers installed and detanator drivers installed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What o/s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

He has Winme , and dont say thats the problem because its not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

You need to use opengl even with the gf2, dl the latest detonator drivers and they support opengl. Your current driver obviously doesn't. (Could be the default driver with winme - i dunno never used it) And take off vsync in your gf properties.

Bottom line - i have a gf3 but i cant get good fps on directx - directx is tits on half-life (which i presume is the game your talking about) - use opengl - if it doesn't work fix it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

vsync is off, and how big are the new detonators??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Boober, Get Detonator version 12.41
    I found them to be the best for the GeForce256. Other drivers may give slightly better performance, but I know these work solidly under win98 and 2k.

Halflife is a DirectX6 game. Hardware TnL (texture and Lighting) only became supported from DX7.x onwards. If you run Halflife in Direct3D you'll have shít fps. Might aswell have an ATi Rage128 :)
    OpenGl automatically makes use of hardware TnL cards.

RUN HALF-LIFE IN OpenGL!!
    Also turn off FSAA as it makes feck all difference and your fps drop like a hot shít. Have the Desktop in 16-bit colourdepth at the res you intend to run the game at.
    Turn off anistropic filtering also.

• Advertisement

i already have 12.41 drivers, and that antistropic filtering thing IS off, and opengl dont work. im confused :confused::(
    I need fps boost!
    like, its only certain parts of the level, like the woven bridge near ct spawn in aztec, that drops 99.9 to like 40 :|

WtF!?!?
    (using dx8.0)

and how do i turn off FSAA ?
    and i set it so it runs games in 16bit(default) not desktop one

could it be anything to do with the opengl.dll files in my hl directory (in other subdirectories too)

i got pissed off, deleted them opengl files, and bingo!, they were support files than changed the default open gl to a special one for my (old) voodoo2's, not its 99.9 all the way baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

heheh :)
    VooDoo MiniGL :)

Advertisement