Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overrated bands...

Options
  • 29-01-2002 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

my first post here and sort of inspired by the underrated bands thread (now really?)... now why does noone seem to realise that the following three acts are actually a problem?

system of a down
    jj72
    andrew wk

i saw jj72 last year because unfortunately they were supporting a rather well known dublin band in slane and, **** me, they were nothing short of embarrassing! even the stuff they said between songs was embarrassing, gee, and it's not as if i'd never seen a ****e band before! the other two are mainly boring...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay this is bleeding' obvious but here it is...
    U2!

Sorry...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Muse, I'm sorry but I think their rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

*cough*

The Beatles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

jj72, they suck ass big time:)

over rated band - Limp Wristed
    about one decent tune out of them all, but that's it (especially this remixed rip off s***e they brought out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

the beatles and U2 overrated? - two of the most distinctive and productive bands in history? Just because they are very successful dosent mean they are overrated - I suppose you think Jeff Buckley and Radiohead are overrated too?

JJ72 - way overrated (why of all the great Irish bands is this one so darn popular?0
    Linkin Bizkit and Sum 182 dont even deserve a rating.
    The Coors - Overrated

The most overrated overhyped band is The Strokes I expected so much more from all the buzz they've been getting.

Muse I think are allright but dont measure up to the hype

• Advertisement

U2 hav'nt been much good since about 1980 except of the odd
    interesting moment like on POP and Rattle and Hum (When Love Comes to Town is great but BB King's a big help there!).

As for Radiohead I just dont get it, while the Coors should'nt even be mentioned in polite company.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by mike65
    , while the Coors should'nt even be mentioned in polite company.

Mike.

sorry

uuuh some band, can't quiet remember there name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

Syatem of a down overrated and boring? Have you ever actually sat down and listened to an album of theirs? They are very far from boring. They have completely original songs, good music to boot and to top it all off a singer whose range of vocal styles is so amazing that it's hard to believe it's the same person in all the songs. And as for being overrated when was the last time you heard a DJ play one of their songs? Or even mention them on air. It doesn't happen very often and I think its about time they got some recognition for all the hard work they have put in to produce two top quality albums.
    Can't say i disagree with your other two choices.
    Personally I think that almost all pop "bands" in the known world are completely overrated.

Hey Atonal,

I was'nt talking about these boards! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by AtlantaSuburb
    system of a down

Oh yes, I totaly agree!

Insanely massively over-hyped!

They are EXACTLY the same as At The Drive-In .Not musicaly mind you, but the way people go on about them, saying that they're the best thing that has happened to metal...

It's EXACTLY like ATDI.

Now, a year after At The Drive-In hyped themselves to death... "Who?" You all cry!

And please, don't rant about "Oh, you've never really listened to them!"
    I damn well Garauntee that they'll be forgotten about in a matter of months!

I'd consider Devin Townsend to be a living legend of metal but thats just me and I'm a bit mad n a bit woo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Overrated..i doubt it.

img06.jpg

Originally posted by atonal
    the beatles and U2 overrated?

Both of them, yes.
    - two of the most distinctive and productive bands in history?

There you go over-rating them again... t'chah! :p
    Just because they are very successful dosent mean they are overrated -

Success has nothing to do with it. "Steps" and "S Club 7" are successful- yet they're both still as talented as a liquidated Arcturian MegaDonkey.

They are over-rated because, in general, people rate them much higher than their musical achievements and talents have deserved.
    I suppose you think Jeff Buckley and Radiohead are overrated too?

No, - much the opposite, in fact.
    JJ72 - way overrated (why of all the great Irish bands is this one so darn popular?

Dunno- like Kharn, I sort of grew up wih Green Day and kind'a ignored JJ72.
    Linkin Bizkit and Sum 182 dont even deserve a rating.
    The Coors - Overrated

Here I find myself agreeing with you... MUSICALLY... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

the beatles and u2 overrated? don't get me wrong, i'm not a u2 fan (honestly), but calling them overrated would be an insane act of disrespect if you ask me... the corrs? well hump me (as i've just learned that other four letter words are censored here, i'll have to use this one), if they hadn't been mentioned now it wouldn't even have entered my mind that they actually exist! and, gee, how could i forget the msot overrated act in musich history? ladies and gentlemen, the mouldy peaches! what's supposed to be so foppin wonderful about a velvet underground tribute act? if i want lou and nico i listen to them, not to some new kids, unless they have something a bit more original to offer... system of a down will be on once was cool in less than ten years, that's as sure as houses...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

/me huggles El_Diablo :)
    System are not over rated and I've never heard of anyone drawing a similarity between them and At The Drive In (who were excellent and I had the pleasure of seeing them live in Dublin).
    I just cannot agree. I'm one of those rabid fans for this band, so I'm never going to give an unbiased opinion, but they are doing something kinda new and they're doing it with style. And Serj rules - I'd love to be able to sing like him.

One of the more over-rated bands to appear in recent times are Stain'd - I bought that album (Break the Cycle or something) and while it's not bad and their music is OK, it's a bit boring and repetive and to be honest, it's been done to death several times before.

JJ72 I first heard about after seeing them live in Dublin Castle (playing support to Gomez and The Charlatans). They were pretty good I thought, but the way people have been going on about them is plain wrong - there are much better Irish bands out there that are a lot more deserving of this praise (The Frames spring to mind).

U2 - they're slightly over-rated. It must be said - they're very good and I really enjoyed Slane (1st one - I went to see the Chillis and U2 were a pleasant surprise), but their music isn't groundbreaking or fresh anymore so people should stop talking as if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Bard

Here I find myself agreeing with you... MUSICALLY... :)

i agree with everything bard said in that post, except for the coors whom i like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

the white stripes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

overrated = U2

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

i agree with everything bard said in that post, except for the coors whom i like.

Why thank you WWMan...

As for "Coors",... eh... I prefer Holsten Pils :p

--

As for "The Corrs", actually, I happen to like them and their music. I bought the special edition of "In Blue" and thought it was very good.

I *DO* still think they're over-rated however, in that they get more credit for their musical talents than they deserve. They're good... not great. The acclaim they receive would have you thinking the sun shone out of their arses at times... and it doesn't.. I've had a good look... and... eh... well - you get my meaning.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Im certain Ill be savaged by some diehard fans who will accuse me of being a rap music fan trying to say whats rot in alternative rock and so on but here goes.
    The Strokes-What a load of ****e they really are.They sound like the mic is in their mouth when they sing its so distorted!
    Dandy Warhols-There music is quite good but god damn the lyrics are just brutal.
    *bracing myself for the backlash*

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Weezer
    Radiohead (new)
    Rage Against the Machine
    Stereophonics
    Bob Dylan
    Bruce Springsteen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BlackMagic

there are tons of overated bands :

Beatles
    JJ72
    Andrew wk
    Oasis
    Papa Roach
    Linkin Park

oh yea winning hand : how the fuc* are rage against the machine overated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"As for "The Corrs", actually, I happen to like them and their music"

*he he*

Bob Dylan over-rated? Eh no

and Bruce Springsteen? He's also rather good and you rarely ever hear people ranting on about how great he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

Claiming the Beatles are overrated is a bit like suggesting that the wheel isn't half as useful as people claim it is. Most of the bands mentioned on these boards wouldn't exist without the Beatles. Lets face it, without the Beatles there would be no punk, no heavy metal, no music as we know it today. There is not a band in history to produce such a diverse catalogue of original music and lets face it, there never will be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bob Dylan is vastly overrated of late. There's a tendency with music journos to deify former talents in the absence of anything original these days. Look at the ratio of godawful to good albums produced by Dylan, anyone else would be shot for producing that much tripe.

I'm also rapidly tiring of the Strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by dccarm
    without the Beatles there would be no punk, no heavy metal, no music as we know it today. There is not a band in history to produce such a diverse catalogue of original music and lets face it, there never will be.

i think you will find jimi hendrix, who was the exact same time, was doing things that the beatles never even dreamed of.
    if they hadnt done it, there were many other bands who never got a look in who were doing the same thing who would have been noticed.
    jesus, i saw a documentry on jimi hendrix. the day after sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band was released, the boys from the beatles went to see a jimi hendrix gig and jimi played the entire album to his won style. in stead of all the orchestral bits, jimi stuck in his own guitar solos/burnings/wailing etc, and he blew them away. i have a load of unrealeased stuff of hendrix and he was awsome.
    im using hendrix as an example by the way, not as one of definition of everything not beatlish of the era.

and wow, like bands never did drugs before the beatles did they?
    yellow submarine my arse!
    christ, ive written better on the back of a beer mat after half a pint inabout 20 seconds....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

of the new bands:
    andrew wk
    black rebel motorcycle club
    strokes-theyre overrated,but i still like them

As for the accusations against muse;what hype;there is no hype created around them-idiotic statements.

love SOAD but they are getting hyped greater than they are,but they are good.other harcore bands that i like also are-will haven,american head charge...so on....then again these bands stand out,cos most american stuff is wimpy pop-sh.it...ladies and gentelmen ,i present you with weezer....to them i sa this so what?

jimmy eat world rock,but are over hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Why is whenever anyone so much as utters a bad word against U2 that they get lashed for having an opinion? And why is it "disrespectful" to call them over-rated? Should we be humbled by the fact that they are Irish? Whatever.

Bands like Limp Bizkit etc arent over-rated; everyone knows they're sh!ite, it's just "fun" music.

Over-rated:
    Stereophonics
    The Frames

..and Jimmy Eat World are waaaay too good to be over-rated :]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

I fail to see your point whitewashman. Are you saying the Beatles are overrated or not. I'm not claiming The Beatles single handedly invented everything, I am saying that The Beatles produced a diverse catalogue of highly influential music. Go away and listen to Helter Skelter and tell me I'm wrong.
    and wow, like bands never did drugs before the beatles did they?

What is that all about? No one even mentioned drugs. The Beatles happened to sing about them on a few songs. Plently other bands did it (Small Faces, Rolling Stones etc.) but that should never be the defining characteristic of a band, which I don't think it ever was with any of them. So producing Yellow Submarine as an argument against the Beatles is fairly redundant, and it also helps to prove my point. They turned their hand to almost everything.

Advertisement