Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-eircom

Options
  • 30-01-2002 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Why do we still have to put up with eircom's influence over the telecoms market - what was all that fuss about de-regulation? Why is Ireland so backward when it comes to the web?
    A country full of PCs with 56k modems achieving 14.4kbps over 1950s phonelines - that is where the problem lies.

EIRCOM - Go Further (I guess this was their 1955 advertising campaign!!!)

The Americans have largely free DSL access available allover - that country is 103 times bigger than Ireland - why is it that eircom have now only completed the roll-out of ISDN? That stuff was everywhere in the US in 1985.

God knows they've had the pretty profit from it's monopoly over the last decades. Why can they not return the favour and upgrade the infrastructure.

Did you hear the latest??? EIRCOM HI-SPEED £96 Per Month! With a limit of 2gb!!! My house rent is £40 per month and I can live in the house all the time! Beware guys don't be ripped off!
    Chorus have followed suit, increasing their POWERNET monthly rent from £40 to £80 - where is that director of consumer affairs now? Probably checking out a slug in a head of lettuce in a Tesco store in Ballymun!

Come on guys - they're urinating down our back and telling us that we are sweating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daithi54

Don't mean to defend eircom but your technically wrong on a number of things.

- Americans do not have access to free DSL.
    - It is geographically very limited, so the size of the country doesn't matter, it's an urban product because of distance reasons.
    - ISDN is, and always has been extremely difficult to get in the USA. It never took off there. Cable operators saw to that.
    - Eircom hi-speed is an ISDN product and has no download limits. i-stream is the proposed DSL offering and the download issue hasn't been settled.
    - The director of consumer affairs doesn't have any influence in this business it's the Director of Telecoms Regulation (ODTR) that controls it.

I agree with your sentiment about the availability of bandwidth and access, but it annoys me when people get things so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Post locked due to pointlessness, wild inaccuracies and lack of anything new or useful.

Cheers,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I concur. Those ba5tards in the States do have access to free wireless networks though... :)

Dunnedanno, please read this. I understand your frustration, but we're all in the same boat here. Saying "Eircom are a shower of ba5tards" may feel good, but it doesn't really /do/ anything.

EDIT: Adam realises he shouldn't ask questions in locked threads... :)

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement