Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAMBUS - Info required

• 09-11-2000 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Are RAMBUS RIMMS capable of running at the same FSB as the CPU or is there a different way that they are rated speed wise? I see some of them rated as PC-800 and others rated as 300MHz. Is 300MHz the speed the RAM runs at in a system containing an 800MHz CPU or whats the deal? Someone please explain this to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as I know...
    this 866mhz machine has PC600 rambus memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The plot thickens....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I'm no expert on Rambus, but from what I (Think) know it runs on a 16bit as opposed to a 64 bit (SDRAM) bus. This means it only transmits 2Kb/s per clock cycle. So PC-800 means an 800Mhz FSB (For the memory only), giving you 1.6Gb/s bandwidth.
    AFAIK the standard FSB on a Rambus system is not directly related to the Ram as the RamBus controller does the work, at least not in the same way we'd relate the FSB to buses and Memory in an SDRAM system.

As for 300Mhz, I'm not really sure. That'd be very low, 600Mb/s, unless it transmits on rising and falling clock cycle edges (Like DDR Sdram) then it'd be 1.2 Gb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

rambus is crap in a single channel solution (i820 chipset) as it is slower than sdram. Dual channel rambus is quite good though it is considerably faster than sdram, but this is only available on the i840 server chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

creed was right on the rambus below
    as far as i know you are putting together a system on an 840 board

image007.gif

and

image010.gif

www.tomshardware.com

www.hardocp.com

[This message has been edited by Sonic (edited 10-11-2000).]

• Advertisement
Advertisement