Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying mac files through windows

Options
  • 30-01-2002 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, i have a bit of a problem.
    i have made copies of a load of mac files though our Nt server and burnt them onto a disk.
    problem is that the file names get changed into a windows format when being copied over. this then means that the files, when you try to restore them onto a mac, have no file association and i have to spend bloody hours trying get them re-associated again.
    someone did mention to me about using an iso or something, but i have no idea about that sort of thing, so i was wondering if anyone had come accross this problem before and what i can do to solve it, as i have about 35gig worth of data that i dont want to spend time sifting through.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yes, t'is a problem. What kind of burning software do you have?
    If you have something that allows you to burn the disk as "ISO 9660" or something like that then that is what you want!

I have "Toast" software and it gives you the option to burn as ISO. This means burn in windows format. Otherwise Windows won't understand.

Kapish?! Let us know your software.

edit/ sorry, you mean that you transfer your files into your NT? and then you burn from NT??

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There should be a control panel on the mac called "File exchange". This is the thing that tells the mac - If you see .xls open it as an excel file on Appleworks or Excel.

Open up your File exchange and check your extension names and see if they are configured correctly for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

The file exchange should do it alright, but it can take a bit a time if you have lots of file types.

Another option:

Just start up the computer with command and option held down until the computer asks you if you want to rebuild the desktop file.

The desktop file keeps track of all the icons that a file should have, and the program to use to open it.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

actually, if you have no suffix's on your filenames (and I'm guessing you don't) rebuilding your desktop etc won't help you. It'll just see the files as undefined pc files.

If you can't re-burn the files again (best option), you can use a batch file creator editor (such as set its type: http://www.macinsearch.com/infomac2/disk/set-its-type-13.html ) to quickly convert the files to creator associated files. This isn't much help unless you have a fair idea what format the files SHOULD be though.

hope that helps.

Advertisement