Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying mac files through NT onto cd

Options
  • 30-01-2002 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, i have a bit of a problem.
    i have made copies of a load of mac files though our Nt server and burnt them onto a disk.
    problem is that the file names get changed into a windows format when being copied over. this then means that the files, when you try to restore them onto a mac, have no file association and i have to spend bloody hours trying get them re-associated again.
    someone did mention to me about using an iso or something, but i have no idea about that sort of thing, so i was wondering if anyone had come accross this problem before and what i can do to solve it, as i have about 35gig worth of data that i dont want to spend time sifting through.
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

an iso, is like a big compress ed image of a Cd or drive, they are easy to make on windows systems, you could you nero to make on mac, think is, are these files jsut for use on the mac and will be stored on the nt computer? cause they may not work on the nt system(in fact i boubt they will)

point is, make an iso, then copy it over. all the files inside the iso are in mac format then. they dont change

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

they are copied through NT, no the actual mac.
    and there are lots of files, not just a drive.
    when the files are taken from the cd, all mac associations have been wiped so you have to associate all the files with their perticular application.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Are you saying that you have a file called
    - payments2001 -

and Nt imports it as...
    - payments2.001 -
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The only way to do it would be to either make the ISO on the Mac itself, then copy though NT and write it or just write directly from the Mac.

Originally posted by Gordon
    Are you saying that you have a file called
    - payments2001 -

and Nt imports it as...
    - payments2.001 -
    ?

it does do that, but ive disabled iso 9668 or whatever it is aand ive enabled joliet and the file names are now coming out in long format as opposed to the 8.3 nameing convention i had before.
    but i still have the probem with the files not being associated wth any app.
    ive even tried zippinmg them and then copying them and unzipping, but its still happens :(

• Advertisement

"not being associated wth any app"

i think i understand, you saying you copy say a photoshop file from a mac to an nt pc, and it is no longer associated with photoshop

I know the exact problem your talkign about, i had the same, the way i got around it, was i used a zip disk, Pc format. on the mac they were mac files and on the pc they were pc format. that the only way i had around it

Have you tried a batch renaming program? If you
    -download this program from www.versiontracker.com
    -rename all files of exel to .xls for example
    -shift the files over to NT server
    -burn
    -you should have the cd compatible for Mac and NT
    -maybe

the problem isnt with the renameing of files.
    ive got around that.
    as boston has correctly surmmised, the problem is with file association now.

yes, i have lets say a quark express file.
    i copy it. it goes onto my disk fine. it now keeps its long file name with all the bells and whistles and funny things that macs do to filenames.
    however, when i try to take the file back of the cd, th quark express file, is just a file. it retains all the filename, just isnt aware of what application it should use to open the file.
    so you have to do the mac version of 'open with'

these are being burned onto cd using a win2k workstation. id do it through mac, but i dont have mac cd-rw.

the issue with zip drives is that disks are far too expensive, and hold only a 3rd the info as a cd, or a 6th if using the 100 mg version. and i dont fancy copping gigs and gigs of data.
    plus the fact that some of the projects can beas little as 20 mg, and i have to use a disk for each project, means many many many disks :(

to explain... Mac files have two forks one data and one resource, the resource fork tells the Mac what the file is. Because PC files only have data forks thats all that will be copied from the Mac to the PC. Services for Macintosh on NT or 2k allows for these resource forks so that Mac files can be stored but they still won't be copied over to an ISO CD.

• Advertisement

So is win2k able to understand that it is a quark express file?

If not then you need to rename the file to make it win2k quark express. Then Macintosh will understand that it is quark express.

Originally posted by Gordon
    So is win2k able to understand that it is a quark express file?

If not then you need to rename the file to make it win2k quark express. Then Macintosh will understand that it is quark express.

the file names are fine.
    but the mac does NOT understand that it is a quark express file.

however, meglome is on the right track here, and its getting the second fork to be, i dont know, copied or kept intact or whatever that im trying to sort out.
    and becuase i havent a clue about macs or mac file names etc its taking a while for me to get ecross exactly what the problem is

I don't know if it's possible to get these resource forks to copy over though a PC, I've never managed to do it anyway. Your best best maybe to get a usb CR-writer that will work on the Mac and the PC and be done with it. There may of course be a third party app to do this but 'fraid I can't help you there.

its a quark express file, i had a simpliar problem, hold on i might be able to find someone who can help

PCmacLan

It a pc-mac networking tool, but it has some interesting programs that may solve your problem
    File-Extension Mapping
    Once you have transferred a file from a PC to the Mac, PC MACLAN's file-extension mapping capability will enable the user to view the PC file on the Mac with the proper icon. This feature offers a convenient way to for Mac users to view and launch PC files residing on their Macs.

On the PC side, once you have installed PC Migrator (a free utility bundled with PC MACLAN) you simply move the Mac file through PC Migrator and onto the PC. Once you have completed this simple step, the Mac file will appear on the PC with the proper file extension and icon.

hmm, that could be well worth looking into.
    i will try it out on monday. imnot in work today cos its my birthday :)

Happy birthday greywasholdman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Happy Birthday WhiteWashMan!

Aren't there any PC Burning packages that will burn a MAC/ISO hybrid, from a macintosh volume/services on NT?

Check out the CD Recordable FAQ for more info. Of particular interest:

How do I copy Mac, UNIX, or "hybrid" CD-ROMs from Windows?
    A program that copies the entire disc as an image should work. Don't try to copy it as a collection of files.

You can create a hybrid HFS (Mac), Rock Ridge (UNIX), and Joliet (Windows) CD-ROM with "mkhybrid" in section (6-1-32). The output of the program is a simple ISO-9660 image file. It stands to reason that you should be able to copy such discs as easily as you can create them.

The same applies to copying arbitrary discs from the Mac, or any other platform -- just copy it as a disc, and you should be fine.

You can get mkhybrid for Windoze Here

Advertisement